Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do i have 2 Exchange servers running in parallel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

weirdo357

IS-IT--Management
Jun 29, 2005
US
Hello i have an Exchange Server 2000 running on my network i have a AD Controller and BDC. I am having a dell tech in next week to change some hardware on my server and want to make sure that i have a stand-by server ready in case this job goes south. What i am trying to do is install Exchange 2000 server on another server and restore my backup to verify my back up and have a stand by server ready incase i have to use it and be up in the minimal amount of time. Right now i receive an error
-Active Directory has not replicated the necessay permissions ofr the deleted items container. Please wait until replication completes before running setup.

Thnaks in advance.

Force replication or reboot.

Another way is to GHOST your Harddrive(s) of course, less work then a full re-install

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

I had to do this twice in the past.
1. If your current server fails to operate after replacing the hardware, do this.

2. Go to Active Directory and reset the server's account.
3. Load the OS on your new server and name the server the same name that you took offline.
4.Add server to domain.
5. Load Exchange on the server. You will probably have to run domainprep setup first. Look at Technet for this as well
6 restore your data from backup

There should be a Microsoft White paper on this.Technet actually.

Hope this helps

Generally there are two goals:
1. The whole procedure should be as safe as possible.
2. The procedure should be as transparent as possible.
I would suggest another approach:
1. Install a new Exchange 2000 server in your Exchange organization (nothing dangerous or noticeable for the users).
2. Move the mailboxes and create a replica of PF to it after work hours (the same remark).
3. Point the incoming mail to the second Exchange server.
4. Transfer the FSMO roles from the DC which is going to be down to the other DC (check Step6 from this video):

5. Make sure the second DC is configured as DNS, WINS and DHCP server.

If you perform right the steps above you will have a 100% covered goals 1 and 2. Even if the main DC dies irreversibly you will not loose information and the end users will not notice a thing.

forum.gif
Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back