Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I go about creating a mailing list. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeevenze

Technical User
Mar 13, 2001
US
I want people to be able to subcribe to a news letter. I'd like to create a form where the user simply puts in his/her email address and the user gets an automatic email saying that we've received his subscription request, and then send a newsletter via email in HTML format to all users who have subscribed.
I'd appreciate any replies and would like to thank in adavance to all people who respond.

Jeevenze

When I have created similar applications in the past I use the JavaMail API. Using a servlet to which the form is submitted to insert the data into a database and mailing the sender with the confirmation. To send the news letter email, again use the JavaMail API to create an application to send an email to each address in the database.

To do this you will need the addition Java API's for JavaMail and JDBC.

I hope this is of help Billy H

bhogar@acxiom.co.uk

Is there anyway I can do this in ASP?

Sorry i am not as familiar with ASP, but I think you will need to ensure that you have the SMTP service installed on your server, available from the NT options pack CD. Once installed and configured you will then need to configure the default domain (using ISM).

You should be able to use the service from within ASP

EG:

Code:
<% @Language = VBScript %>
<%
Option Explicit
Dim myMail
Set myMail = Server.CreateObject(“CDONTS.NewMail”)
myMail.Send “FromMe@here.com”, “ToYou@There.com”, “MySubject”, “Body Text”, 0
Set myMail =Nothing
%>

The NewMail Object is part of CDONTS (Collaboration Data Objects for Windows NT Servers), and it allows you to send mail via the send method.
Billy H

bhogar@acxiom.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back