Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I get the configuration of a C2900XL switch without changing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuntakinte

Technical User
Apr 2, 2001
US
I need to find out the configuration (ip add, name, passwords, subnet mask, gateway and all) of a switch without changing anything on it and I also need to know how to make a port use either dynamic or static ip addressing.... Please help me!!! I am desperate!!

Kunta

Hi
in IOS...
show running-config
will list the running configuration

alternatively if you're running CatOS then
write terminal
will do the same.

I'm a bit confused about the static/dynamic port addressing. Layer 2 switches dont assign IP addresses to their ports. Are you talking about the clients using static IP addresses or DHCP?

There is an option to configure individual ports to only accept packets to/from specific MAC addresses - perhaps this is what you are referring to?

I mean the client using static ip address or DHCP.... thanks for y'alls help... let me go try this out and see.... Thanks a million!!!!

hey fynx.... that did not work.... thanx though.... can anyone help me please????!!!!!!!

Kunta

I guess you dont know the enable password of the switch, which is why the show running-config command didn't work. If you dont have that, you'll need to perform password recovery for your switch (documented on the Cisco website).
Also you don;t mention what model switch you're running or what type of OS - a good starting point...

fynx... I am kinda new to this cisco switch thing but the switch is a catalyst 2900 XL switch.....can I recover the password without having to change it?.... I don't know what OS it uses (I don't even know what OS options these switches even have!!) .... is there some crash program literature I could read to give me the operating knowlegde I need for this thing?..... Please help me out.... thanx!!!!

Thanx man! got to go try it out..... Thanx.....

Kunta

When you "recover" the password, you are actually going to have to change it. You will not be able to get the old password. Unfortunately, that is the way things go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back