Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I get rid of Windows Log In ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry625

Technical User
Nov 3, 2001
US
How can I get rid of the anoying Windows log in? I hate to have to type in my password to open windows. I am on windows 98se OS.
Thanks

I think if you go to Network Neighbourhood -> Properties, theres an option saying 'Client For Microsoft Networks'. There are two settings but I can't remember their names. Anyway, just select the option you're not using and reboot. I think this might solve the problem.

Howdy:

Right click on Network Neighbourhood and select "Properties"

Now, change the logon from "Client for Microsoft Networks" to Windows Logon.. Apply and okay out.. DO NOT REBOOT !!

Now, start>Find/search and do a search of c: drive for *.pwl

Delete all it finds. Now you can reboot..

You may get the logon screen once more.. If you do, just press the OKAY butoon.. NOTHING ELSE.. Do not just cancel or "x" out.

Murray

The last answer is absolutly correct.

Except you don't have to change the client to make it work.

just my .02 cents

tgus

Thanks to you all for getting me out of that mess! I knew you Tek-Tip gurus could bail me out!!

Just click the x close button without typing in your password..
Cheers Mike........

24hrsurfer:

That doesn't even come close to working.. next bootup, you get the same login request. Perhaps you should brush up on your computer skills !!

Murray

actually on the first login if you don't chose a password and it's set right (or wrong depending on how you view it) the x (which equals cancel) will set it to not ask anymore, it even says that, but it has to be set a certain way.

-----
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to sit there with a dumb look on your face.
I have fun. Usualy at my own expense, but I have fun regardless

Echo:

No it won't.. Pressing "okay" if all is set right will do it, but not the "x"..

Murray

Hmm well maybe I'm wrong, I don't know it's been forever but I could swear it worked. Meh, as long as Jerry gets it to work, whado I care! :D

-----
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to sit there with a dumb look on your face.

I had the same problem with the log-on screen. So I moved the *.pwl files to another folder (rather than deleting them), restarted, clicked 'OK' when prompted for a password, rebooted and yeah! no more password requests.

Now, however, Network Neighborhood only shows me the 'Entire Network' icon and produces the 'cannot browse' error when double clicked. I didn't change any network settings when I got rid of the *.pwl files. I moved those files back into the Windows directory - still no password requet, still no computers listed in Neighborhood -

Co-incidence or cause and effect?? The network adapter shows a strong connection to the network.

I remember those cannot browse errors.. I just kept hitting refresh until something happened or I got bored of it and did something else. I never did find out why 98 does that.

-----

Well, I went into settings>control panel>network and added a Microsoft Network client that I didn't need and Network Neighborhood is aware of its surroundings once again.

Gamichael:

If you are on a network, then you MUST logon to see everything on the network.. You can't lose the logon request and still expect to see or be seen.

Murray

I thnk the issue was losing the log-on window when one uses a 'NULL' password. I certainly am logged into windows and my network, just don't have to view and answer the password entry each time I restart the machine.

Are you simply "networked" to a workgroup or logged into a network Domain?? BIG DIFFERENCE !!!

Murray

"Simply networked" to a home wireless network between desktop and laptop for file/printer sharing...

Then all you need is Client for Microsoft Windows running to enable a workgroup.. You don't need to log into a workgroup..

Murray

i removed my login screen and now all my program shortcuts (all the offical microsoft ones) in the start bar dont link any where they are linking to my old profile that got deleted any ideas how to get this back.
I think it currupted the windows installer aswell because i cannot run Office Xp reinstall or any thing on the CD ARGH!

It's a Profile thing.
I haven't done profiles in 95/98 in a loooong time but I think I remember you have to right click on My Computer and go to Properties.

Next go to the Hardware Profiles tab. Find the profile you use to use and copy it to the one you want.

It's been a long time, so I may be mis-remembering something here. But I think it's close. I'm sure someone else can give a more exact answer.

Hopefully this gets you going down the right path!

tgus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back