Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I get results from comparing two Excel files

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombaraider

Technical User
Feb 20, 2004
US
I have 2 files with a list of names (among other info).
How can I create one spreadsheet list showing only the names (records) that exist in both files?

Hi,

Open both workbooks.

Choose which on you want to enter the formula.

I'm assuming that the table in each workbook has headings in row 1 and that the names are in column A.

In row 2 in an empty cell enter...
[tt]
=MATCH(A2,
[/tt]
...and then SELECT the other workbook, Sheet, THE COLUMN containing the names...
then finish the formula...
[tt]
,0)
[/tt]
...and hit ENTER.

Then COPY/PASTE down through the rows containing names.

Every match will have a number and those that don't match will have a N/A error.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

OK, in the formula, I use A2 for the first argument, press comma, go to 2nd file, click on the sheet tab. The names in that file are in column B beginning on row two. I'm stumbling here. How should the second argument look after clicking on the sheet tab? Thanks.

Select the SHEET then the COLUMN

looks like...
[tt]
'[YourWorkbook.xlsx]YourSheet'!$A:$A
[/tt]

You don't have to type anything to get that.

Skip,
[sub]

The completed formula looks like this: =MATCH(A2,'[Dorothy''s List.xlsx]owssvr'!$B:$B,0)
The result is #N/A.

That means that the value in A2 is not in any row in '[Dorothy''s List.xlsx]owssvr'!$B:$B

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back