Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I get packages to execute on W2K Clients?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndwalker

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2002
GB
I'm new to SMS & have been given the wonderful job of managing it's deployment and use in our organisation (with very limited training!).
I can get packages created with the SMS installer to execute on Windows NT clients, but not on Windows 2000 Clients.

Also, some Windows 2000 workstations won't install the client tools unless an admin logs on to them.

Please help - any suggestions would be appreciated.

When you create the program for you package, on the requirements tab, you've either got to say that the program can run on any platform, or you've got to specify the platform. Just specifying NT should run on 2K as well. That's x86 NT. This is the best setting, because if you get XP, you've got to go with x86 NT - you cannot use NT4 and Win 2000, because there isn't an XP choice.

Next - if clients are not installing, they may not have admin rights to do so. You'll either need to install (run) the program when no user is logged on (the best, if you can in your environment), or you've got to create a software installation account that is a member of the admins group. If you can install when no user is logged on, this is the best method - very clean and fast. We deploy to servers this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back