Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I get my Webcam and Firewall working together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocco408

Programmer
Jun 7, 2004
I recently purchased a "Creative" Webcam for my laptop which runs on a Windows XP OS. I often use Yahoo chat to comunicate with others and I would like to be able to have video and voice chatting capabilities on my computer. The only problem is I keep on getting this error message that says "You seem to be behind a firewall that doesn't allow the webcam feature". I've already gone to Yahoo's help site and enable my firewall to allow TCP connections to ports 5000 through 5100 like it suggested and still I'm getting the same error. I tried opening the camera application first then starting the webcam feature and I get a different message, "Webcam not found on your System", rather than the firewall error. If anyone has had this strange problem I'de like to hear from you, THANKS.

L.V.

I checked for the latest drivers I seem to have the latest and greatest. As far as the device manager, I don't see any errors occurring. I enabled TCP connection on port 5100 on my XP firewall and on my D-link router, I can't figure this one out?????

Does your webcam work correctly in an offline situation or is it only causing problems if you attempt to use it online?

In other words do the two error messages relate to being online?

It works perfectly fine for offline use, only when I try to use it online with Yahoo Chat.

Are there any clues in your Firewall log or can you enable logging of blocked packets?

Some anti virus scanning software also have inbuilt firewalls. PC-Illan antivirus, for example. There are other AV programs that also include a hidden firewall component. XP under SP2 has a default setting of "on" for its firewall.

I suggest you disconnect the router and connect the pc directly (if this is a SAN). If not, you can try connect using a dial-up modem and see whether the webcam works or not. Note that if you are using SP2, you have to go to the control panel and disable the firewall. This way you can decide whether yours is a firewall problem or not. If it works, and therefore the problem is simply the firewall, enable the SP2 firewall again and check if it works fine. If so, you have to read more info on your router.

Should you fail to use the webcam with no firewall in between, I suggest you try another program like paltalk or msn...determining whether it is a problem with Yahoo only or not.

I guess you will limit your problem by far using the above procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back