Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I get MTS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliamMathias

Programmer
Sep 8, 2001
GB
Hi,

I'm running NT4 server and I'd like to learn about MTS. I've got some COM creation experience and I've read about the advantages of MTS.

Does MTS come with NT4 or do I need to download it?

Is there a single user interface etc?

If you've got any tips 4 getting started / understanding
it that would be cool.

Thanks in advance

MTS comes on the NT4 option pack CDROM. Don't forget to re-apply your operating system service pack afterwards (SP6a?).

Unfortunately, I don't have a specific book to recommend to you. But the Wrox books have been uniformly good.

One you may want to look at is "Enterprise Application Architecture" by Joseph Moniz. You'll have to wade through some of his terminology, but he does have some good ideas -- use stored procedures on the database, use MTS objects for the business layers, put only the GUI into the ASP pages. If you follow his general outline, your site will be pretty scalable.

Chip H.

Is there anyway to automate the use of how to register a dll into MTS. I'm after some automation of registeration of of MTS packages. Any assistance will be helpful.

dotdb+c

You can export a .msi file from your build machine which you can then install on a user's server and double-click on. You'll need the Microsoft Installer Service already installed on the user's server for it to be recognized, though.

Chip H.

If you use MTS 2.0 instead of COM+ then you can export a client side exe and run it on client side to register your components.
If you use late-binding technology you donot need to register any MTS components on client side.

Regards! zallen@cmmail.com
Long live of freedom!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back