Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do i get Database base name and Catalog path in the Report?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anumala28

Programmer
Jun 28, 2002
US
Please give the solution for this question.

Thanks.

1Open the report
2Go to View, click on Page View
3Scroll the report until you can see the area where you want to drop the name (usually the header or the footer)
4Click on Insert (at top of screen)
5Click on More Objects
6Scroll to find the object, highlight it, and Click on Insert
7Drag cursor to the spot
8Left click and drag mouse to the right and down to form a box, when you let go the object will appear
9Size & position for aesthetics

** After you have done this, Impromptu will save the 6 most recent objects for you (like Word or Excel does) for quicker reference as soon as you do ster 4**

For the catalog name, just go to Insert | More Objects and then select Catalog file name. I usually place it in the page footer and leave it as dynamically sized.

For the database name: there are two database names that Impromptu can deliver. The first is the logical database name as defined within Impromptu. This is found in the same location as above as 'Database Name'. The second appears only if your database type supports it, and returns the physical database name. Look under 'Functions' in the expression editor for database. This does not work for Oracle, but I have used it in the past on SQL Server.

Regards,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ20-2863 first!

I should have realized that you would want it to be dymanic. An alternative is use the Catalog description object. Set this description to the name of the catalog and insert that object into the report. You can change the description by clicking on the catalog menu item and select the Properties option and type in the text you would want in the box.

I hope this helps

VTJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back