Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I get an IP address? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonnieJohnson

Programmer
Apr 16, 2001
US
I am a database programmer and I have a client that I provide service for by connecting to his server using RADMIN. He uses SW Bell and apparently the IP address changes. Someone else set up the RADMIN for me and he is not available.

How do I get his new IP address so that I can gain access again? He also gets onto his server from home and cannot get on either, so he does not know what it is.

Thanks in advance to the Guru that helps!

ProDev, MS Access Applications
Visit me at ==> Contact me at ==>lonniejohnson@prodev.us

May God bless you beyond your imagination!!!

Hi,
We do the same thing but we use pcAnywhere.
Have your client create a shortcut to this webpage on their desktop:
This page will display the public IP of the computer that opens it. Anytime you plan to connect, and supect the IP may have changed, have them open the sight(be sure that page is refreshed, CTRL-F5)and the current IP will be displayed
Hope this helps

Tommy

My Friend,

You are a life saver. Much Thanks!

Just thought I'd ask. Is there a way to get that information any time I want it. Is there some way to post or send it on a personal webpage of mine?

If not thanks anyway, you're still da man in my book.

Sounds like for the long term dynamic dns could be your friend. See There are many others, so best to search google for 'dynamic dns service' and pick one that looks right for you.

Once you have the service configured, instead of using the IP, you would use a name like thenameyoupick.dyndns.org to reference the radmin server.

On a related note, see thread463-704265 -- a discussion of the safety of using dynamic DNS, applied to VPN in that case but mostly applies here as well.

The one exception would be that I am not familiar with the security of radmin, you might need to take additional steps to secure that, maybe even run it over a VPN connection.

Thanks mhkwood, I'm not too sharp when it comes to this area of the computer world but I will definately go over this tonight and see if I can work it in.

Thanks a bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back