Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I get an extension recognized on a new port

Status
Not open for further replies.

muca65

IS-IT--Management
Sep 21, 2006
US
One of my IP400 Digital Stations died and I need to move some people from this dead box to a working Digital Station.

My phone is plugged into block 43 at the wall (Sarah).
So I took a cable from 43 at the patch panel to a working port on a different IP400 box. I had to unplug someone else (let's call her Erin) to free up a port. Now Sarah's physical phone works but still has Erin's extension. I spoke briefly with an Avaya rep and they said I have to temporarily change the IDs associated with the extension.

Can anyone help with this?
Will it require a full system reboot rather than a merge config?

you will have to change the user associated with the extension port and reboot,

Give both users a login code ( user > telephony ) and logoff Erin with *36 and logon Sarah with *35*extn nmbr*logincode#.
If IPO reboots then Sarah has to login again with *35

Thanks for the reply.
How do I change the user associated with the extension port? I'm extn 219 with port id of 640 and she's extn 120 with port id of 526. Port 526 works; 640 doesn't. Do I just edit 526 port and plug in 120 and edit 640 and enter 219 (essentially switching ports) and then reboot the system? Is there a way to make this change without impacting the remaining users (who are on the phone!)?

you would change it like you stated, basically reversing the two users, be careful not to duplicate and reboot.

you can use the hotdesking described by intrigrant also, that change does not require a reboot, where changing the ports will

you could try this to avoid reboot of entire system. if the exts are all on an expansion module, not the processor module. make the change, merge it, then run the upgrade wizard, and upgrade the expansion module to the same release it already is. it should reboot the expansion module only, and probably send your change on the ext port through. this is not in 'the book', but i have seen it work to reboot modules before, without rebooting the entire system. the change may not go through this way, but i have seen some changes go through in this fashion.

if you need a reboot then reboot
it only take 30 seconds
most of the people don't even notice it

OK..replacing the power supply fixed the problem with the digital station except for one phone extension...mine. I have a 4412D+ and there is no display on the phone and the vmail message indicator is flashing four times - it looks like one short, three long flashes. The speaker light functions, volume control functions, but no display, no number pad. Remote access to vmail is fine and calls can go into vmail. The phone works when plugged into another jack (bringing up the other user's extension) and another phone works when plugged into my jack. the problem appears to be solely with my extension configuration.

One last thing. When trying to configure my phone to log in at another extension, received call rejected message.

Help! Thanks.

Thanks to all for your advice. The new power supply came in and resolved MOST of the phone problems. The ONLY problem now is that phone calls now get cut off abruptly and NUMBER BUSY comes up on the display. Any ideas why that might be occurring or places to check? Thanks in advance. You all are an extremely great resource for someone who knows next to nothing about these phone systems!

like some people said
reboot the expansion module and try
if this not works then reboot the whole system
sometimes a (windows) pc needs a reboot too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back