Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I generate Notification messages in the Tray? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwinnyk

Programmer
May 27, 2003
US
Windows Update and other Microsoft applications have that nifty little Notification bubble that pops up when there are new updates to download and install. I would like to utilize somethig like that in my VB .NET application to generate messages, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it.

I figured that the standard NotifyIcon would have a method or property that is related to this, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Can anyone help?

The stock NotifyIcon doesn't have this ability, but there are many free components available for download.

here's a couple of links:

Or you could create your own. I had a look at some of the free ones and they turned out to be a bit excessive or difficult to use for my purpose. You could setup a form with no border and a background picture with the transparencyKey property of the form set to the color you would like to be transparent. Then control the location of the form in the mouse event handlers of a notifyicon.

Hope this helps.

-Stephen Paszt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back