Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I format XP to re-install 98?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kishken

Technical User
Feb 12, 2003
CA
I have XP on my Celeron 466. It runs too slow. I want to go back to 98, but I don't know how. When I run my system cd to format my hard-drive, I get a message that it is an unrecognized dos format. I am running FAT32, so I don't see what the problem would be. any ideas?

Boot the computer up with a Windows 98 boot disk. At the A:| prompt type FDISK. Once there, say YES to the first screen. On the next screen do a number three follwed by a 4. then do a 3 and 3 then a 3 and 2 then a 3 and 1. (Really dont need all of that, the first 3 and 4 will get ride of the Non_dos partition. Once you have all the partitions deleted. You can re-creat the partition within FDISK by doing a 1 and a 1 to creat your partition. Then reboot and then format and then install.

If this is confusing, re-post and I will try and clarify

Bill

Get your old 98 start up disk and Format your hard drive using that. This will remove all traces of XP and anything else that is on your drive.

How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or Repartition a Hard Disk (Q255867)

If you want to set up a dual boot system you will have to load 98 before XP to avoid corruption of XP's boot section.

HOW TO: Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP (Q306559)

I neglected to mention my 3 1/2 floppy doesn't work. I was able to put the startup disk files on my second hard drive and format my C drive that way. Thanks for the help.

Did you happen to upgrade to XP from 98? Or did you do a clean install of XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back