Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I force a software scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2002
US
SMS2003. I have a few clients that have not performed a recent software scan. How can I force a client machine to perform a software inventory scan? I do not want to go through Control Panel. I need to be able to kick this off remotely (possibly using a tool like pssexec).

Thanks!

That's it! Thanks!

I must have some other problem, though. The last scan on this particular machine was 2/23.

Apparently, initiating a scan doesn't work. I have my client agents set to perform a software scan every three hours. I have several machines that have not performed a scan in two days. Can anyone offer any suggestions to why this moght happen?

Not to ask the obvious BUT... Are they turned on and can they successfully run it if its run manually from the control panel... perhaps they arent getting new policies. 1 scan every 3 hours is rather aggressive ;)

Agressive indeed. But, each user is a local admin and can install (and download) software at will. I need to have very accurate details.

I am currently 'playing' with one machine trying to get it to run a scan. I cannot use the Control Panel app since I do not want the user interrupted. Is there a Software Inventory log file I can look at (I can't find one)?

Fsinvprovider.log on pre sp1 2003 and FileSystemFile.log post sp1, is for software inv processing

InventoryAgent.log for sw and dw dicovery changes

LocationServices.log to make sure the client is getting policies from the MP

Odd. Filesystemfile.log states that it ran about 20 minutes ago without errors. But the Resource Explorer (and my query) show the Last Software Scan was two days ago. I don't get it.

BTW, thank-you for the help and replies!

As a matter of fact, the only error I see is in execmgr.log which states:

Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back