Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I force a div's height to less than 20px ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pob327

Technical User
Jul 19, 2007
US
I am trying to write some code to create a gradient background using javascript. I have looked at the FAQ section, but I am new to javascript and the solution in there is too complicated for me (it also seems that there must be a simpler method).
I have a good script, but I now have 2 small probs:

1. how can I reduce the height of the divs I create to less than 20px ("newDiv.style.height = 10px" does not work) ?

2. how can I control the CSS float property in order to allow my script to achieve horizontal as well as vertical gradients ?

Code:
<!--
var i = 0;
var j = 0;
for (j = 0; j < 25; j++)
{
var newDiv = document.createElement("div");
newDiv.style.width = 100;
newDiv.style.height = 20;
document.getElementsByTagName("body")[0].appendChild(newDiv);
for (i = 0; i < document.getElementsByTagName("div").length; i++)
{
document.getElementsByTagName("div")[i].style.backgroundColor = (256*256*i*10) + (256*i*10) + i*10;
}
}

1. You're missing quotes around your value:

Code:
newDiv.style.height = [!]'[/!]10px[!]';[/!]

2. Using JS, you refer to "styleFloat", e.g.:

Code:
el.styleFloat = 'right';

It's a shame you found my gradient code so confusing - it was designed to work both L-R and T-B, and be fairly configurable. I think it's fairly simple, given those factors.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Hmmm...I now have the code below. But the height still won't go below 20px (it will go above 20px though) and the div's won't float right or left. Also, this doesn't seem to work in FireFox. I didn't realise there were browser probs with Javascript.

Any ideas ?

BillyRayPreachersSon, I did like your code for a gradient, but like I say I am just starting Javascript and couldn't make out what did what. In an effort to learn I had a go myself.

[code}
var i = 0;
var j = 0;
for (j = 0; j < 30; j++)
{
var newDiv = document.createElement("div");
newDiv.style.width = "10px";
newDiv.style.height = "100px";
newDiv.styleFloat = "left";
document.getElementsByTagName("body")[0].appendChild(newDiv);
for (i = 0; i < document.getElementsByTagName("div").length; i++)
{
document.getElementsByTagName("div").style.backgroundColor = (256*256*256) - (256*256*i*5) - (256*i*5) - i*5;
}
}

[/code]

for gradient no need for javascript u can use css.

Code:
<div style="filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Gradient(endColorstr='#EEEEF7', startColorstr='#7979BD');height:20px;width:600px"></div>

Excellent, thanks Dan. Using CSS "overflow: hidden; float: left", now allows me to have a smooth gradient vertical or horizontal. [thumbsup2]

One last thing. My code is pretty simple really, why does FireFox not like it ? It just comes up blank. Avoiding cross browser probs was half the point of doing this with Javascript !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back