Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do i fix my Database ? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurky

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2003
GB
I have two ARCserve Servers and now both of the Databases have died. Towards the end of my backups, Dr Watson kicks in with an RDS.exe error and my database engine will try to stop, but doesn't manage it. Also, the jobs say they are still running and won't stop.

What is the easiest way of correcting this? I have tried deleting all of the files in the databse that begin with r*.* but the backups still don't work.

Is there an easy way of getting rid of the database and starting with a fresh one?

Hi,

This will not help you, but I have exactly the same problem. To me it seems (I guess) that this is some incompatibility between ArcServe and Windows service pack and/or updates ...

Currently, I'm stuck with this problem.

Regards,

Neven

PS. Let me know if you find a solution.

Our servers haven't been updated for some time. ARCserve has ran fine up untill this week. Even the Database Manager Repair utility isn't stopping these errors! It's becomming quite a pain.

Hi All,

Lurky - which version of ArcServe are you running? If you're running AE/WG 7.0, on a Win2K server or above, you might want to apply ArcServe SP5. Accoring to CA, it's supposed to fix this issue amoungst others. You can find it at The file is called Q)49312.CAZ - you'll need CAZIPXP to unzip it. If you don't have it, you can get it at
In terms of your database problem, have you tried going in to ArcServe Server admin and reinitializing the database? Yes, it will clean absolutely everything - which means that you'll have to merge tapes manually if you're doing any restores from them, but it should help clean things up.

If you don't want to apply SP5 right away, you should be able to get rid of your jobs that are showing active and uable to be stopped by doing the following:

Find the directory called 00000001.QSD and open it. This directoy contains listings for all of your jobs. Normally, there should only be the following files in this directory: 1. Files with the name 0000000x.job where x is a number corresponding to the job's queue ID.
2. QSYS.QUF and QSYS.QJF which are specific to this folder becasue they keep track of the job data.

If you see any files with a .chk extension, they'll probably match your stuck jobs. To clear them out, do the following.

1. Go to ArcServe Server Manager and stop all services.
2. Go back to the 00000001.QSD directory and delete all jobs that have .chk files associated with them. Don't forget to delete the .chk files as well.
3. Go back to Server Manager and restart the services.

When you re-open ArcServe Manager, you should see that your jobs have been removed from the queue.

Syl

I'm running ARCserve 6.61 on an NT4 Server.

Where do i go to reinitialize the database?

Lurky,
Sylia's description is not fully correct.
The *.chk files are not found in the "00000001.QSD" directory. They are located in the "Database" directory.
But the rest of it is correct, so:

1. Go to ArcServe Server Admin and stop all services.
2. Open the "Database" directory and delete all files that have *.ch* extentions.
3. Go back to Arcserve Server Admin and restart the services

In Arcserve Server Admin go to the Database Tab. Click on "Operation" menu, select ONLY the astpsdat database to be initialized. Click on Initialize. This should only take a couple of seconds and your database should be back to a working state.

GSC

Thanks all,

I shall see how the backup goes tonight. If i get another RDS.exe error i'm going to give my boss a kick up the backside and try to get some licenses for ARCserve 9 and a new backup server with a tape library. Save messing around with multiple backup jobs and databases.

Thanks again.

Mark (aka Lurky)

Just a quick note. After Reinitializing the database, my backups ran without a problem!

Cheers.

Don't give us quick notes...
Give us a *star* for Christ sake!!! :-D

Cheers.

GSC

Thanks a lot! You just made my day :)

Cheers.

GSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor