Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i find out what modem is installed without opening the Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

N11xxy

MIS
Aug 11, 2003
GB
Asked a question b4, but not sure if anyone looked at the heading might not give enough information.loaded windows 98 onto quite an old dell machine, finds the modem but wont achknowledge it as there are no drivers, i need to know what modem it is so i can download the relevant drivers. would like to be able to do this without having to open the case if possible.

all help appreciated

i just had a look at that link, but it says it shows the results on a web browser, so as i cant get the modem to work i wont be able to view it?..or am i reading it wrong, thanks for replying

Mark

By the way, do not be scared by the size of the download.
Everything you need can fit on a single floppy:

"A couple of files including the not necessary language modules (*.LNG), all database schemas (DB*.*), all AIDA32 plugins (AIDAPLUGIN*.*), the web links file (AIDA32.WEB) and the XP icons module (AIDA_XPICONS.DLL) should be removed before copying the files to the floppy disk. In the case DirectX information is not required, it is recommended to remove the DirectX module (AIDA_DIRECTX.DLL) too."

thank you, will try it now, thanks for help, will let you know

Mark

I have had something like this before, definately go the Aida route as btcastner suggested, it really is a good bit of software

The only problem I could think of is that Aida may not say exactly what the Modem is (Or miss report it), if it doesn't get it right it really would be easier to hook out that PC, get the side of the case off and look on the modem for numbers\model name or number and possibly manufacturer

If getting the side of the case puts the fear of god into you, theres not too much to worry about, just be brave and do the following...

- Pull the power cord from the PC power supply (Extermely important)

- Disconnect cables if you like (Keyboards, mice etc)

- Make sure you ground yourself to get rid of any static

- Unscrew case

I really can't see that you would damage anything since you will only be "Looking" at the details on the modem card and shouldnt really be putting your hands in there dabbling!!

Make sure you have a suitable area to open the PC case such as a table or worktop

When you got the numbers then you can find manufacturer and get the latest drivers

Good luck

Jamie

Go to System Information under System Tools
and click on Modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back