Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do i find out if i have a 3d card i have this

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryeg

MIS
Apr 29, 2003
US
game that says "no 3d hardware found"? i have a new computer does it not come with 3d hardware

Well did it specify 3D-enabled somewhere on the invoice when you bought it ? Did the list of components state that a 3D-card was included ?
If not, you're only solution is to go buy a 3D card.

Unusual, because even integrated graphics these days are 3D compatible so although performance would be low with such a solution the hardware support should still be there. (integrated means a motherboard chipset that has built in graphics capability and uses shared system ram to run)
Obviously a seperate dedicated AGP graphics card will be superior to onboard VGA for gaming and 3D apps.
Note* sometimes games require VGA shared memory settings in the bios to be set to 16mb or over to work.
A simple adjustment can be made by entering the bios and upping the setting to 32mb or even 64, remember by allocating more memory resources to the graphics you take it away from other things (not a problem if you have more than 256mb in the first place, XP users)
So if you are running XP OS and only have 128mb memory you don't want to be giving the graphics half of it. Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Another possibility would be the version of DirectX you are running. For instance, if the game required DX8 and you only had DX7 installed, you would get this type of error.
I would recommend making sure you have the latest driver for the video installed, and the highest level of DirectX it will support.
You can find out which board you are using through device manager, then go to the manufacturers site for updated drivers.

Good luck, and Happy Computing

Make sure your Hardware acceleration is turned all the way up to Full.
Right click My Computer, Properties, Performance, Graphics.
(That's for Win98. I have no idea where it is in WinXP)

Jim

Go to Start > Run > and type in: dxdiag
On the "Display" tab, make sure that all 3 buttons are ENABLED.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

He probably has the Intel integrated Graphics, and the game he runs has OpenGl HW acceleration, with which Intel's cards have problems (even with the newest drivers)

You may want to install Belarc advisor.

The Belarc Advisor builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware and displays the results in your Web browser. All of your PC profile information is kept private on your PC and is not sent to any web server. Click the link to download a free copy for personal use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back