Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I find out how many calls we have made/received 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommylux

Technical User
Apr 16, 2008
GB
I appreciate your time on this complicated query.

I have got experience with SMDR output on the 3300 system for about 6 months now, and I am still not confident the figures I produce regarding simple inbound/outbound calls are accurate.

We do have 3rd party software which interrogates the SMDR for us, but the reason why I need to interrogate the SMDR myself is because we are not happy with the 3rd party solution, nor its accuracy.

I have spoke to Mitel on previous occasions, and always had limited support on SMDR.

SMDR is in a poor format to begin with, but if this helps anyone, I have produced a SQL view to show me the correct columns for my SMDR options. The Options I have used and the SQL select can be found in:

You can see I have used a table to store my SMDRs, and have used a series of SUBSTRING to find the data I need.

You can see the columns better here:

Now I have my data in the correct columns, I search for T* in the "Calling Party". I expect this shows me all Incoming calls on the Trunk. In my "Or" Criteria, I search for T* in the "Called Party" to see all Outgoing calls on the Trunk.

I know im starting to make things a bit complicated when I now say, we have 2 Mitel switches. But, with my logical thinking, this should be OK, because my report should exclude internal calls, transfers, talking between two switches etc because I am searching for SMDRs relating to a Trunk.

The figures I get for day 1 is 3701, where our 3rd party software reports 3292. Most of the data is like this day to day, we seem to have at least 400 calls less reported less per day with our 3rd Party solution. Is there anything I have missed out in my criteria which could explain my report is showing 400 more? Or is this evidence to suggest that the 3rd Party is not reporting all calls?

I tried to experiment with other criteria to limit my results, there is field called "CallIdentifier", I tried to produce a unique list of calls unique by "CallIdentifier", but this provides me with a figure: 2483 for day 1. Much lower than our 3rd party. And on a weekend example, the figure was lower than the number of recorded calls (not possible). So reporting unique by "CallIdentifier" doesn’t seem to provide the correct results.

Does anyone know if there is criteria missing to produce the report, or is the 3rd party software missing calls?

Kindest regards.

Your manual search of the SMDR records may be counting transferred calls as an additional unique call. When looking at call count data, the traffic reports are a MUCH better tool than SMDR records.

I have heard of Traffic reports, but I dont know how to set them up.. Anyone?

Pretty straight forward.

Traffic Options form.

Setup the reporting time and options to capture.

It will store up to 10 reports or you can capture them via telnet port.

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

Cheers buddy, any idea what port it uses? The Mitel help (which is usually very helpful) doesn’t mention anything about a telnet port.

Also, where does it store these reports? (If it’s similar to how it stores SMDR, do I need to use a maintenance command to print the last reports? or does it store it on ftp?)

I dont know what this report will show me, but im hoping it will give me stats on trunk usage.

Some guidance how to use the traffic would be brill.

Thanks guys!

Tom

The report will give you peg counts and time (CCS or erlangs)on individual trunks, trunk groups, and route assignment usage. This tells you how many calls and where they went.

As to the telnet port, I believe you would use 1754 as this is the port that mirrors the output to the printer port.

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

Is there a way to get the Traffic Reports automatically pulled in Ops Manager in the same way SMDR works?

If there is a way, I'll probably need to find a Expect/Tcl script I can put in the MTCETask folder of OPS manager.

Looking at the SMDR Script, it looks far to complex Here is just a snapshot:

set SMDR_BASE_DIR $OPS_HOMEDIR_DIR/sx2000/smdr
regsub -all "\\\\" $SMDR_BASE_DIR "/" SMDR_BASE_DIR
set SMDR_BASE_DIR [string tolower $SMDR_BASE_DIR]

puts "SMDR_BASE_DIR=$SMDR_BASE_DIR\n"

set SMDR_UNDELETED_FILE $SMDR_BASE_DIR/Smdrundeletedfiles
set SMDR_SOURCE_PATH "*.OPS"
set SMDR_DEST_PATH "$MTS_OPSSX2K/Smdr/$MTS_ElementName"

set SMDR_WorkingDir "$OPS_HOMEDIR_DIR/SX2000/SMDR"

set ONE_MEGA_BYTES [expr 1024*1024]

puts "SMDR_DEST_PATH=$SMDR_DEST_PATH\n"

#===========================================================================
# CONSTANTS - END
#===========================================================================

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Create working directory.
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------

MTS_Retry { MTS_CreateDirectory $SMDR_WorkingDir }
set SMDR_ElementDir "$SMDR_WorkingDir/$MTS_ElementName"
MTS_Retry { MTS_CreateDirectory $SMDR_ElementDir }

# set freeDiskInfo [exec dir.exe $SMDR_WorkingDir]
# puts "freeDiskInfo=$freeDiskInfo\n"

set driveIndex [string first ":" $SMDR_WorkingDir]
set OPS_HomeDrive [string range $SMDR_WorkingDir 0 $driveIndex]
puts "OPS_HomeDrive=$OPS_HomeDrive\n"

I've seen it done before. The Expect script looks very similar to the SMDR script, but obviously you want to use *.TRAFFIC instead of *.SMDR on the PBX filesystem.

Can you get hold of the Expect Script which could export all Traffic reports?

Otherwise, Is it possible to fire off maintance commands though telnet?

If so, I could leave a telnet session listening on port 1754 and fire off a maintance commands to print off the last Traffic report.

The system only holds 10 logs worth of data, which means I would have to log in daily to see the line usage. I need ongoing daily data as we need to compare the results against our recordings.

Come on guys, how can this be done?

the files are stored in ASCII text format, so all you really need to do is either write an Expect script to run as a maintenance task and FTP the files to the OpsMan server, so it's not as difficult as the SMDR collection.

Or, you could use any FTP client and just FTP into the PBX and pull the files (they're stored in the "/db/cc/traffic" folder on the PBX). This could be automated easily enough.

Either way, you'll need to write a script, it's just a matter of where the script resides and runs from. I don't have access to a working system to be able to post and example here.

The directory /db/cc/traffic doesnt appear to exist.

If I FTP to the 3300 IP Address using the default port, and found that the default username and password worked. Shocking. The only directories are:

DspConfig
ESM_BrowseDlg_Applet
RSM_FTP_Applet
ESM_FTP_Client
ESM_FTP_Display
globalization
install
LMTTestSignals
script
symbol
tftp
webs

We are using V8.0

Ive had a look inside these folders but cant see any hint for traffic reports.

Is there a second FTP port?

Any ideas?

/db isn't listed from the FTP server, but it's there. Be very careful, since this is where the call control database is stored (and also why it's a hidden folder).

I get a 501 error, Could be permissions. But I dont know where the persmissions are stored.

Its becoming a little painful, The only way I can think of sorting this is by creating a macro script and sending key strokes to open the browser, point to the switch, tab a few times. etc etc.

For heven's sake there must be an easier way.

I think i've given up. I'll just have to create a macro.

The 3300 uses frames. I'll see if I can find the page for the maintanance commands, so I dont have to send keys all the time.

:-(

Hi, Lundah

Just got my head around accessing hidden folders in command line ftp.

Thanks for all your help, it works now.

Tom

While my suggestion works, the right answer here is still to write an MTS task in Expect to automate this for you. O'Reilly has a good book on Expect written by the developer of the language, I highly recommend it for anyone who needs to write MTS scripts.

I doubt you'll get anyone to post the code here, since I know of a few vendors who charge a modest fee for writing this script.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back