Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I find and edit startup programs 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

abienz

Programmer
Aug 13, 2001
GB
Hi there,

I have an error that arrises everytime I logon to Windows NT 4 sp 6, it goes a little like this...

Unable to find folder "c:/program " the program was unable to execute.

Or something to that effect, I assume the program that it's trying to execute should be found in the program files folder but has somehow lost the 'files' bit.

Either way I would like to have a look at what triggers this error and stop it, on Win 98 there was an app you could execute from the run prompt called msconfig or winconfig, it allowed you to select startup programs, I've checked my startup folders for all users and there's nothing there that's not right, so I'm stuck as to where to look next!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Al.

FAM, Genius bit of software, this is what I was after on my thread. Have a star!!

That's a nice app, but unfortunatly it doesn't list the C:/program file that I am looking for.

I don't get it, how can it be hidden, there must be somewhere it can be found!

I searched through the registry and there didn't seem to be anything there, but then again it's like finding a needle in a haystack.

Al.

abienz - you could try - but its essentially same as one above i think.

Did that show any entries? If so, do any start C:\program or "C:\program?

You haven't got any installed apps that run as a service? (eg, from c:\program..)

I've checked it out, and no, there are no startup proprams that start C:\program, I had a look at the services and there soesn't seem to be anything there that's strange.

Is that the exact, full text of the error message you are getting ?

No it's not quite the exact, but I'd have to restart my computer to get it going again and I don't have the time unfortunatly as my PC is the current file server, however...

This moring I did reboot and found that the error wasn't there, it must be because using the Startup Control Panel I disabled a program called ToPicks Starter, found at c:\Program Files\ToPicks\Bin\ldhost.exe

I've never heard of this program nor did I intentionally install it, I think it's spyware from another program that I installed, so I think it's all sorted now which is cool.

Strange thing is assuming ToPicks is the program that was causing the error, it's not on my harddisk, the folder doesn't exist, so I guess it's in my registry, what's the safest way to remove this program from my system (NT) without making my computer mess-up, I've used reg-cleaners before and have found they get rid of a little too much sometimes :(

Cheers,

Alex.

If its not on hard drive & you've stopped it trying to run (I'd actually delete, rather than disable - that will remove the registry entry), I'd say you've done enough.

PS. I see it was something starting C:\program - you previously said there were none!

Let me clarify that statement.

The error said something to the effect of...

"C:\Program "

There were no entries for that under my startup, but a few from...

"C:\Program Files"

I wasn't sure if the computer would differentiate between them properly so I too it litteraly.

Al.

This is often caused by good old msn messenger. If you log on to a Win 2k box, then revert to NT4, this can happen.
Search HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run
as well as
HKEY_LOCAL_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run
and all the users under
HKEY_USERS
for anything looking like msg....... something or other. (I forget what the actual app name is)
That should do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back