Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I fill email subject line in form? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeanne

Technical User
Jan 15, 2001
US
I have several forms that submit to the same email and want to have the subject line filled out to differentiate between them. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Well, I figured it out. I had entered:

<input type=&quot;hidden&quot; name=&quot;SUBJECT&quot; value=&quot;Customer List&quot;>

what I needed to enter was &quot;subject&quot;...

Jeanne

Description:
Create comprehensive mailto links using the instructions and code shown below. Configure To, CC, Bcc, Subject, and Body information!

Directions:
Below you will find the code required to create a complete mailto link. Read a little about the configurations that are possible so you will know how to edit the code.

mailto: can do more than provide a way to send email to you from your site. When used as an <A HREF> tag, one email can be sent to multiple addresses. Not only that, but any combination of those addresses can be tagged as To: (regular), Cc: (carbon copy), or Bcc: (blind carbon copy) addresses. You can also set default text for the Subject: line and the email body!

Mailto links can send email to multiple recipients. Add additional email addresses after the first, separated by a comma:
Code:
example: <a href=&quot; mailto: email1@email.com, email2@email.com, email3@email.com&quot;>
You can select additional email commands as well:

Sender is the person who selects the mailto: link
Recipient is the person who will receive the mailto: email

TO ( same as using comma in the mailto: line)
Recipient's name will appear in the To: line, along with all the other To: addresses. Sender will see all addresses in the To: line. Recipient will see all addresses in the To: line. Can be changed by Sender.

CC ( carbon copy)
Recipient's name will be in the Cc: line, along with all the other Cc: addressees. Sender will see all addresses in the Cc: line. Recipient will see all addresses in the Cc: line. Can be changed by Sender.

BCC ( blind carbon copy)
Recipient's name will appear in the Bcc: line, along with all the other Bcc: addresses. Sender will see all addresses in the Bcc: line. Recipient will see no addresses in the Bcc: line. Can be changed by Sender.

SUBJECT ( default text for subject line)
Text following this command will appear in the Subject: line. Can be changed by Sender.
BODY ( default text for email body)
Text following this command will appear in the Body of the email. Can be changed by Sender.

Complete example:
Code:
<a href=&quot;mailto:contact@cgiscript.net, contact1@cgiscript.net?subject=Mailto Test Subject text&cc=contact3@cgiscript.net&bcc=contact4@cgiscript.net&body=Test mailto body message&quot;>Test Mailto Link</a>
» » » » » »
Mike Barone
FREE and Pro CGI/Perl Scripts

FREE Scripts

Thanks, Mike.

I forgot to mention that I am using email.cgi AppleScript for Mac for my forms.

I am also trying to use the email.cgi in a site with frames and I want to put my form on the navigation frame (leftFrame) and direct the redirect page to the mainFrame.  I entered:
<input type=&quot;hidden&quot; name=&quot;redirect&quot; value=&quot; target=&quot;mainFrame&quot;>
I didn't see any instructions regarding a target, so I just put it where I thought it should go, but it doesn't work.  My redirect page shows up on the left (navigation) frame.

I posted this request on the CGI forum with no response, so today I posted it on the JavaScript forum.

It may be that this is not possible.

Thanks again for your help.

Jeanne

Mike,

Thanks again. tsdragon helped me in JS forum.

He said to try putting the target in the form tag - and it worked.

Jeanne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back