Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I enable Remote Desktop Connection to W2K Server? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdietz

IS-IT--Management
Nov 7, 2003
US
We are running Windows 2000 Server on our web server. In the past, we were able to use "Remote Desktop Connection" from Windows XP machines to connect to the server.

After a technician performed work on the server a few weeks ago, it appears that he disabled the ability to remote connect to the server.

How do I re-enable the server so that we can use Remote Desktop to remote connect to the server's desktop?

Thanks for your help!

Charlie Dietz

In Windows 2000, it is not called Remote Desktop. It is Terminal Services in Administration Mode.

1. Open the Add/Remove Programs control panel.
2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
3. Select Terminal Services and click Next.
4. On the next screen select Remote administration mode.
5. You will need to reboot

Note: You do not need to enable terminal services licensing for this mode.

Learn Windows 2003 Server Videos:

Hey again:

I checked, and Terminal Services was already installed, so I removed and reinstalled it, however I am still unable to connect to the machine using Windows XP's Remote Desktop, as I have always been able to do in the past.

I also tried connecting to the machine using Terminal Services Client, and it does not work either.

I am thinking that the problem has to do with a setting or security policy that is preventing the connection.

When I'm trying to connect VIA XP Remote Desktop, the error that I am getting says that the connection cannot be established because of... Then it lists 4 possible reasons, such as too many concurrent connections, remote connection not enabled, etc.

If anyone has any ideas on what settings I should check, let me know. This server is set and is running as a web server, if that helps.

is the TS service running on the server?

<signature for rent>

Could it be possible that the tech changed your listening port on the server--or made changes to the firewall so that connection requests cannot be fulfilled?

I'll check out the services when I'm in tomorrow... As far as the listening port or the firewall changes, I'm not familiar with what they should be set to... Any ideas there.

I've called the tech back in, he's been back in several times, and has been unable to figure out what happened.

Go to the,Start, Programs,Administrative Tools, "Terminal Services Configuration" tool, highlight connection, go to the right pane, highlight RDP-tcp connection, right click, all tasks.. make sure it is enabled.

While you are on the right pane, double click the RDP-Tcp connection, under the network tab, make sure your network card is selected from the pull down...if someone updated you network card driver, this usually needs to be done, at least on my servers, believe it is because they have dual network cards, and the configuration always seems not to pickup the correct NIC.

Now that you bring that up, when I was going through all the settings today, I think that the NIC was set to "Any Available" instead of the particular one. I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks!

I just checked the server out... The Terminal Services service is running. In the RDP-TCP connection tab, the correct network driver is selected, but I am still unable to Remote Desktop Connect to it. I talked to a few of our other in-building personnel, and they advise that the problem started after the district technician installed a patch for the Sasser virus... Any other ideas?

Thanks alot!!!!! :)

Again , is it ENABLED....

Go to the,Start, Programs,Administrative Tools, "Terminal Services Configuration" tool, highlight connection, go to the right pane, highlight RDP-tcp connection, right click, all tasks.. make sure it is enabled.

Can you RD connect from within the network, to the TS server? If you can, as this tech if he played with the firewall.

All tasks are enabled.

No, I am unable to remote connect from within the network, nor by trying to remote desktop after connecting to the VPN from home.

The tech advises that the firewall configuration was not modified. All he did was use "Stinger" to remove the Sasser virus from the machine and then installed the Microsoft patch for it.

Don't worry about the VPN or the firewall for now, you should be able to get a session going within the network, so these items are not the culprit.

When you removed TS services, did you reboot before reinstalling again? If not uninstall it, reboot ,reinstall, and reboot again. as per Lostwages instructions.

See if this help, even though it refers to the licensing server, possible the reg entries are hanging it....
"We got a big surprise when we installed the relevant Microsoft patch 835732 to our Windows 2000 Servers, it broke all of our Citrix Metaframe servers.

The patch messes up the Terminal services registry entries.

Instructions on how to recover from the registry problem are in the KB article 323597: "

Yes, I rebooted after removing Terminal Services before reinstalling, and again after I reinstalled it.

I'll give the registry mods a try tomorrow.

Thanks!

you can install winvnc. by using it,you can find it is you are real before the machine. it is defferent from terminal service.

The registry modifications (from the link you gave to TheThin.net) fixed the problem. Remote access has been fully restored.

Thank you to everyone who helped out:)

-Charlie Dietz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back