Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I edit the IOS Configuration code in ConfigMaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikevz

Programmer
Aug 1, 2001
US
I need to map a private address to a public address and i'm guessing that i just need to add a couple lines to the configuration code but how do i do this? Do I need to save in notepad and edit there, but then how do i import it back to the router or bring it back into the program?

Here's an example of the line you need to do a static one-to-one NAT mapping:

&quot;ip nat inside source static <inside IP> <outside IP>&quot;

You also need to add
&quot;ip nat inside&quot;
and
&quot;ip nat outside&quot;
to the appropriate interfaces.

I don't know of any Cisco people that use config-maker. Everyone uses command-line.

OK, command line. Like Telnet? I've tried that and I don't see where to go or what to do.

Here's how you get into the router:

Telnet <ip>
password: <enter password>
router> enable
password: <enter password>
router#

You now have full access to the router. If you type &quot;config t&quot; you can make changes, and are therefore dangerous. I recommend you get an entry level book on Cisco routers so you can use it as a reference. It will have the information you need that there really isn't room for here.

Best of luck.

Thanks, Is there a way to view the current config

If you want to see the current config type

router# show running-config
or
router# show run

This displays the config stored in RAM, FYI to copy this config into nvram so it doesn't get lost if you restart use:

router# copy running-config startup-config
or
router#copy run start
HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back