Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I duplicate all mail going through the server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

opusx2

MIS
Jun 6, 2002
US
I'm looking for a way to duplicate each mail sent and received by all recipients on an exchange 5.5 server.

Journaling. Basically, you reroute all mail through the local MTA to a mailbox of your choice. Here's a basic guide, you should also check MS site for more info...

HOW TO MONITOR ALL EMAILS WITH JOURNALING
I. Getting the "Distinguished Name" of the Journaling Recipient
1. Open Admin.exe in raw mode (at the command prompt, go to the appropriate directory and type "admin /r")
2. Click on the mailbox you want to be the journaling recipient
3. Go to the File menu and choose Raw Properties
4. In the Object attributes box, select Obj-Dist-Name. The distinguished name appears in the Edit Value box. Highlight & copy this value.

II. Enabling Message Journaling
1. Open regedit and go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeMTA\Parameters
2. Add a new string value named "Journal Recipient Name" and paste the distinguished name into Value.
3. Add a new DWORD value named "Per-Site Journal Required". If you want to trap only outbound mail, set this value to 0. It you want to trap incoming & outgoing mail, set it to 1.

III. Configuring the Information Store (Re-routing your communications flow to pass through the MTA)
1. Disable local delivery of the Information Store
A. go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\ParametersSystem
B. add a new DWORD value named "No Local Delivery" and set the value to 1
2. Route all Internet messages through the Information Store
A. go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIMC\Parameters
B. add a new DWORD value named "ReRoute ViaStore" and set the value to 1.

I'm assuming that this is done on the Exchange server itself?

You assume correctly. And you must restart the IS, MTA, and IMS services to make it take effect...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back