Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I do TV scanlines??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I've been trying to figure out how to do the TV scanlines. I have version 7 of photoshop.

Hi,

Make a new document size: 1 pixel wide x 2 pixels high and make sure that it is transparent.

When you have your new document open look at the bottom left of the Photoshop window there should be a white box with "100%" in it, change that to 1600% by using the keyboard. Select the paintbrush and set the size to 1 non-aliased pixel and paint the top of the 2 pixels black. Select the entire selection (Ctrl+A) then goto EDIT|DEFINE PATTERN and name in scanline. Then close that document without saving anything.

Open the picture you wish to apply the scanlines to. Make a new layer (Ctrl+Shift+N). Then goto EDIT|FILL in the first drop down select PATTERN, in the second dropdown (custom pattern) select your scanline picture (it will be the very last one, b/c you just made it. Mouse over it for a second and the word scanline will appear). Set the blending mode to normal and the opacity to 100% and UNCHECK preserve transparency, then hit ok.

Next select the move tool (V), goto layer 2 and change the opacity down to around 60%. Then if you are happy with the look you can save as a .psd so as to keep both layers or just merge the 2 layers together. If you think that the scanlines are too close to one another then you will have to make a new set of scanlines. And follow the same procedure as at the very top of this but create your own size. Only set the width to 1 though and adjust your height as you see fit and fill it as much black as you see fit.

Hope this helps! NATE
spyderix.gif

design@spyderix-designz.com

Hi again,

You could also (if you only need to do this to a couple of pics) goto and download the demo of xenofex plug-in filter and use the TELEVISION filter, you can distort the images as well as curve the image to look like a TV screen and more.

Check it out.

Hope this helps! NATE
spyderix.gif

Hi,

I found a good free filter that does this automatically, however you can not choose the opacity of the scanlines. Well actually you can do a workaround (explained below).

Goto: and download that free set of plug-ins, then unzip them and put all the .8bf files into [DRIVE:]/Program Files/Adobe/Photoshop(Version X)/Plugins then start Photoshop or re-start Photoshop if you already have it open.

Then the filter you are looking for is FILTER|FLAMING PEAR|TRANSLINE

You will need to put a black background behind it though, b/c this filter actually just cut's lines out of the picture instead of placing a colored line overtop of the image.

A simple workaround to making color scanlines or having the capabilty to adjust the opacity would be to make a black background below the picture, then press Ctrl+J to duplicate the layer (layer via copy) then change that background to any color you wish then play around with the opacity and the blending modes to get a larger variety of effects to my previous post. You can even add a layer mask to the color background (layer above the black background) for added effect.

Hope this helps! NATE
spyderix.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back