Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I distribute an Access2K DB so that it looks like a program ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schredder

Technical User
Feb 6, 2003
AE
Hi all. Designed a CRM DB, with which I'm super happy. Have beginners knowledge in Visual Basic, but no clue abt SQL, or so. Now i want to distribute the DB to my employees in a way, that:
* they cant change code/forms/reports...
* that on their desktop is a icon which opens just the front end of the database (forms)
* that when one changes a record the others immediately can see/access/change it (server-style or so)
* that i can change the DB and send the users kind of an "auto-update-install" - file and they work with the new version after executing
I know this might look like a dumb question but imagine driving a car without gasoline. Thats how i feel.
Thanks in advance for all ur help !

Hi,

* they cant change code/forms/reports...

Distribute the file as an MDE (Tools -> Database Utilities -> Make MDE File)

* that on their desktop is a icon which opens just the front end of the database (forms)

Split the database. See
* that when one changes a record the others immediately can see/access/change it (server-style or so)

Ditto, split the database.

* that i can change the DB and send the users kind of an "auto-update-install" - file and they work with the new version after executing

Not really possible I'm afraid. This all has to be done manually.

Good luck!

Thanks much nealv
ok splitting the DB seems to be the only way...have to read myself through this then...

Chris

See faq705-2010 in the Access Modules forum for all your questions (including the auto-update-install which is possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back