Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I disable entering power save on boot in Ubuntu 12.10 SERVER ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewtownGuy

Technical User
Jul 27, 2007
US
I'm going bananas ! I did a clean installation of Ubuntu 12.10 SERVER. I get the initial screen, but then it says "entering power save" and the screen goes black / blank. I can't turn on the screen for love or money. I know the machine is running because I can SSH into it. I tried changing the wait time in /etc/default/grub from 2 seconds to 30 seconds, and sure enough, it waits in the opening screen, but then it goes blank.

I've spent hours researching this problem, but the solutions assume you have the desktop, and the screen goes blank after some number of minutes. But I have the server and the screen goes blank IMMEDIATELY.

How do I fix this ? This same machine worked just fine with Ubuntu 10.04 Server.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Forgot to mention...

I turned on verbose in grub. The screen goes blank the instant it finishes booting.

I tried uninstalling acpid -- which I need -- but it didn't make any difference, so I reinstalled it.

To me this sounds like the video display is going into a mode that is incompatible with your monitor. Since you can SSH into the machine, take a look at the Xorg.conf file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf). Off hand, I can't say exactly what to look for in there other than make sure that it doesn't go into a strange mode.

The other thing you might want to look at is the run level, at least as a temporary workaround to let you work with the machine. It is probably going to a multiuser mode with X support.

What puzzles me about this is that I thought that one of the differences in the server edition was that it wasn't support to start X. However, it looks like you may not be etnirely alone in this problem. See this link for one that seems to be related: It also has a suggestion, assuming your running nVidia for a graphics card to use sudo nvidia-xconfig, though I am not sure what exactly this does other than try to detect the display and configure the drivers accordingly. This brings up the point that you may have an incompatible driver ... I wish I had more suggestions for you.

There's an /etc/X11 folder, but it only has xkb and Xsession.d in it.

This is an embedded machine, so the graphics capability is built in. I works fine under Ubuntu 10.04. 'lspci' says it's a VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor D2xxx/N2xxx Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02).

When the machine finishes booting -- and I see the boot text just fine, it says Entering Power Save. Then the screen goes blank and I can't turn it on. So it has something to do with entering power save mode. How do I control or turn off power save mode ?

Hi mate,
I had a similar problem with an VGA.Intel Integrated Chipset 4 'Motherboard P5G41T-M' and Ubuntu, they suggested I switch to Debian - Ubuntu brother - and the problem disappeared.
Debian 6.0 kernel 3.2.0.

I hope you find the solution to your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back