Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I delete rows from 1 table that don't exist in another table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikea64

Programmer
Mar 18, 2002
US
I have 2 tables in Oracle8.1.7. Table A has 2 million rows, and Table B has 500,000 rows. Table B is a subset of Table A. Table A has referencial constraints to 3 other tables and CASCADE CONSTRAINTS is not enabled. How do I delete rows in Table A that don't exist in Table B, without using 'WHERE ... NOT IN' because the NOT IN disables the indexes and causes a full table scan for each row in Table B? How do I then delete the orphaned records in the 3 RI tables?

We are trying to find the solution that runs in the shortest amount of time.

Thanks.

Try to use NOT EXISTS(..)
But in any case you should perform a full scan on A

I suggest that you use an Outer Join on from table A to Table B and limit the records retrieved so that you don't fill up the rollback segment. Then loop round the records in Table A and delete the associated reference records.

DECLARE
CURSOR del_cursor
SELECT A.pk, A.ROWID
FROM a, b
WHERE a.pk = b.pk (+)
AND b.pk IS NULL
AND ROWNUM <= 5000

BEGIN
recs_to_delete := TRUE;
WHILE recs_to_delete
LOOP
recs_to_delete := FALSE;

FOR del_rec IN del_cursor
LOOP
DELETE ref1 WHERE ref1.pk = del_rec.pk;
DELETE ref2 WHERE ref2.pk = del_rec.pk;
DELETE a WHERE a.ROWID = del_rec.rowid;
recs_to_delete := TRUE;
END LOOP;

COMMIT;

END LOOP;
END;

Good luck

Ed

Thanks EdWall,

I'll pass this along to the poor guy who will be performing this and see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back