Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i delete a database

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
I spent a few days configuring a new database, all the tablespaces/datafiles etc.

I just tried to do an import from a dump file into the new table structure and ended up with a few hundred pages of errors. I dont know what went wrong with the import, but is it possible to "empty" the data structure to get back to square one? I have the scripts to recreate the structure so I can delete the entire database at this point. If I cant "empty" the database, can I drop it and recreate it without any major problems?

thanks

If you drop all the users within the databse (not SYSTEM or SYS) then you have effectively cleared the database.

Did you import some SYSTEM or SYS objects with errors ?

Alex

Bookouri
What type of export file was it that you were trying to import? Was it a full database export? What type of import were you trying to do? What was the command you used? If you have hundreds of pages of errors, there is a high probability that the same error is repeating, what is the error? The Oracle Documentation publication Oracle8i Utilities, Release 2 (8.1.6), A76955-01 gives detailed instructions on how to use the Import utility. Have you read that? You must document what you did in detail in order for me to give you any suggestions.

As far as getting back to square one. Before you do anything of this magnitude on your new database you should always perform a full backup. Then, if anything goes wrong, you just restore the backed up datafiles and control files and you're back to square one. Did you do a backup before you attempted to import? See Oracle8i Backup and Recovery Guide, Release 2 (8.1.6), A67773-01 for information on how to do backup and recovery. You can access the documentation at

im working on a clean server, setting up a test environment for our existing database. My live database is still intact, I just did a full database dump from the live database and I wanted to import it into the new test environment. I think there must be some parts of the database that dont get dumped even in a full export... it looks like some users got imported but for some reason their tables are did not make it into the import.

Please check whether the tablespaces you have created in the new database match the name from the db from which you have exported the data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back