Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I create Access front End for a SQL database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

terenceb

Programmer
Jun 10, 2003
US
Hi All,

This is new project for me and I am in search of information to ge tstarted I need to create a database that wil allow 5 users or more to acces the same data and modify the data in realtime and be dispalyed and updated to all users. My suers oare working on XP workstations.

This is actually quite easy.
In access click file/new and then specify "new project" (not blank database).
This will create a .ADP file (not an .mdb file), Select your server from the list and you now have a blank access project.
Any tables you create will be created on your SQL server.
A few things work differently to how they used to with .mdb files but its all in the help files.

You can also use an mdb file and link it to a SQL server but trust me ... you dont want to do that. You will be kicking yourself in the future. Accept the learning curve and work with the .adp file. It is much better.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help I was able to create the database with any problem. How can I create the front end in access. This is new territory for me.

Your ADP file has forms and reports just like a normal access file does. Go to forms and try to create one.
The query's section works quite differently though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back