Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I create a Setup program for my Access application? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manny64

Technical User
May 1, 2001
CA
Hi all,

I have created an access application (an mde file) and I now want to have a Setup program install it on a number of workstations. Is there a Setup application I can download or can I create one in access that will allow me to do this.

Thank you,

Manny64

If all you need is to install one MDE file, I would use a dos batch file. It simple, small, and the users can run it themselves by simply double clicking on it. A setup application would be better if you had extra type library files (DLLs) to install along with the MDE file.

Let me know if you need help with the batch file, if you decide to go that route.

Rich

I am currently using a simple batch file to copy the mde file from the server to the workstation. To give you a little more detail on what I am attempting to accomplish:
-I have the back end on the lan server:
(g:\group\all\ilp_data\ilpdata.mdb)
-I have the front end on the workstation:
(c:\program files\ilp\ilp.mde)
-I created a directory on the server to contain any future upgrades to the application:
(g:\group\all\ilp_data\upgrade\ilp.mde)

To install the application on another lan server at a remote location I map to the network drive and copy all files on the remote server and phone a user in that location to run the batch file included which does the following:

ECHO OFF
C:
CD PROGRA~1
MD ILP
CD ILP
REM LOAD ILP.MDE, ILP_USERGUIDE.PDF, ILP.BAT
COPY G:\GROUP\ALL\ILP_DATA\ILP*.*
EXIT

Further, I instruct the user to create a shortcut on the desktop to run the batch file ILP.BAT.

ILP.BAT does the following:

ECHO OFF
C:
CD PROGRA~1
CD ILP
COPY G:\GROUP\ALL\ILP_DATA\UPGRADE\ILP.MDE
ILP.MDE
EXIT

NOTE: I am doing this to ensure that any users (potentially up to 30 workstation at each of the 17 lan servers) will be running the most current version of the applications with all current changes and fixes. I know there must be a simpler way to accomplish this but I just do not know how.

One problem I have is that the MSDOS window stays open until my application is terminated.

Perhaps a batch file would suffice for the initial installation. I'm trying the following:

ECHO OFF
REM MAP TO SERVER-the g: drive at the remote location
NET USE J: \\fs1.location1.mtp.gov\/ns/share/location1
J:
CD GROUP
CD ALL
MD ILP_DATA
CD ILP_DATA
COPY D:\ACCESS\DEV\ILPDATA.MDB
MD UPGRADE
CD UPGRADE
COPY D:\ACCESS\DEV\ILP.MDE
REM COPY BATCH FILE TO RUN APPLICATION
COPY D:\ACCESS\DEV\ILP.BAT
REM COPY BATCH FILE TO SETUP APPLICATION ON WORKSTATION
COPY D:\ACCESS\DEV\SETUP_ILP.BAT
REM DISCONNECT FROM NETWORK DRIVE
NET USE \\fs1.location1.mtp.gov\/ns/share/location1 _
DELETE
-----and then repeat the same commands for each of the 17 locations.

Problem: I can't seem to disconnect from the network drive using the NET USE ..... DELETE command.

I hope you can understand what I am trying to do. Is there a more efficient way of accomplishing these tasks??? I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Thank you in advance,
Manny64

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back