Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I create a double-page spread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyM316

Technical User
May 6, 2002
GB
Help me! I am working on a magazine for my media degree and am attempting to create a double-page spread, but can't work out how!!! Can someone help?!

Also, does anyone have access to an online Quark user manual which they could send me? I would be very grateful!!!

Try this:
In Quark create two new pages. Drag the second page to the right of the first page. You should now have a two page spread.
Now do your page design as though you are working with one large page. When you are done, duplicate any portion of the spread that overlaps the center gutter. Align them exactly then drag the edge on the opposite page(s) to the center of the gutter.
You may want to use your graphic editing tool to duplicate and crop the image to the two boxes.
Remember to use linking for text boxes, so you don't have to do this for text boxes that spread.
When you go to print out the pages you MUST have the 'Spreads' checkbox marked and the paper size needs to be what the FULL spread dimensions are.

I hope this helps.

Press F10 to view the document layout palette. You can drag pages around in any order, and even place them beside each other for spreads, as long as they're not too big. Purists will also say that your document should also use facing pages, although in many cases it's not really necessary.

Quark's own website has downloadable tutorials, including PDFs and sample files:

What I would do is go to your document setup and change the page size to 11X17 (Doublepage Spread) and build your document on that page. All you need to worry about is not putting important information in the gutter area. The printer should take care of everything else when they rip the film.

Mark

I disagree with directedmark's suggestion for a larger page. 1) because all pages in the document will need to be made as spreads, and 2) because it will be literally IMPOSSIBLE to divide the pages up for printing as printer spreads.

The other options people have suggested are much more flexible, if it is part of a multipage document. Also note that a spread (visually) may print on separate signatures unless it falls in the geometric center of a folded and stapled magazine, so you will have to be scrupulous about not having elements physically bleed across the gutter if it isn't a center spread; touching boxes and visual continuations in separate boxes are fine, however.

In a prepress environment I have had to deal with it all, GerrgeMack is correct the page size should be the final size not the size of the spread
But if it was done say at 11 x 17 as reader spreads it can still be broken down into printer spreads it just takes time
Greg

K & G Design
kgdesign@warwick.net

If you want the whole magazine layout as double-page spreads, it's simple. Type Command-N for a new document; in the New Document window, define the actual page size (folded) – eg A4; click in the check-box for Facing Pages (and define your margin guides etc). Click OK and the document will open as spreads.
(if you're asking something more complex and I've missed the point – apologies!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back