Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I create a curve on an image

Status
Not open for further replies.

elan

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2001
AU
Using Photoshop 7 how do I create a curve on an image to duplicate the arc if a picture was projected from the centre of a circle.

I'm not sure I understand what you want, can you explain the problem differently?

Have you looked thru the Photoshop built-in filters for one that may do what you want?

Thanks for your reply mscallisto.

I have tried all the filters within Photoshop and they appear not to effect what I'm looking for.

To recap. Imagine I'm projecting an image on a wall. If the wall was flat then the image would end up flat in its horizontal plain. But if the wall was curved then the image would take on a curve to its horizontal plain. Does that make it a little clearer? I want to make an image have a curve on the page in its horizontal plain.

Brian

i think you can do it by using 3d transform and using the sphere to create a curved plain on your image

elan

If I understand you correctly you can indeed use the 3D transform but some find this method easier:

Make sure there is plenty of free space around you image (Image>Canvas Size then enlarge your canvas)

Now rotate your image 90 degrees in either direction (Image>Rotate Canvas 90 degrees).

Now go to Filter>Distort>Shear. In the dialogue that opens there is a box with a line you can manipulate to create the shape of the shear. Bend that line out to create the curve of your wall.

With that done just rotate your canvas back 90 degrees in the opposite direction to get your image back where you started.

To map the image on a cylinder, use Filter>Render>3D Transform and select the cylinder tool, then drag the tooll across the preview image depending on the strength of effect you want.

Another way to do it is to use Adobe Dimensions, which is specifically made for this sort of work, or to apply a bump map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back