Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I count checks in checkboxes? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinken

Technical User
Aug 26, 2002
US
I have a table with several checkboxes, to denote tests passed. A checked box denotes a passed test, an unchecked box denotes a failed test.

For example:

[ ] part1
[ ] part2
[ ] part3
[ ] part4
[ ] part5

Another table lists the participant's characteristics, such as Date of Birth, Gender, etc.

A simple query (qryTestResults) combines both tables, which are related by an ID number.

I wish to develop a report that shows the total number of each passed test, separated by Gender and age above & below 25 yrs.

I would like the results to look something like this (note that I'm using periods only to set the row heading spacing in this message)

.........................Part1....Part2....Part3....Part....Part5
Male <25
Male >= 25
Female <25
Female >= 25

I'm having two problems.

1. What expression do I use to count the total number of checked checkboxes in each category/column (part1, part2, etc)?

2. Can I do this in a single crosstab query, or should I use 2 (or more) crosstab queries, one for Gender=Male and one for Gender=Female?

I'm assuming that whatever query(s) I use, should be based on the simple query (qryTestResults), but I may be wrong, and perhaps should take the data directly from the 2 tables.

I somehow need to get the data into a single crosstab query so that I can create a chart of the results.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Shin

At This Case, Can You Send Me Your DB And Let Me Look Around To Do What You Need, Because I Got Confuse Of That Puzzel CheckBoxes............:)))

Best Regards
Haitham

At This Case, Can You Send Me Your DB And Let Me Look Around To Do What You Need, Because I Got Confuse Of That Puzzel CheckBoxes............:)))

Best Regards
Haitham
Demashqe@yahoo.com

This select statement should get you started.
SELECT tblTestScores.Gender, IIf([Age]>=25,&quot;Over25&quot;,&quot;Under25&quot;) AS GroupAge, Sum(IIf([Part1]=-1,1,0)) AS Part1Total, Sum(IIf([Part2]=-1,1,0)) AS Part2Total
FROM tblTestScores
GROUP BY tblTestScores.Gender, IIf([Age]>=&quot;25&quot;,&quot;Over25&quot;,&quot;Under25&quot;);
This returns Sums for Part's 1 and 2 grouped by gender and age. You may need to do some adjusting based on how your information is set up. It sounds like you will have to calculate Age based on DOB in a seperate query. If you want to post a little more info, it would help.

From here, you would probably put this in a single crosstab query to get the information in the form you need for a graph. Change table and field names where appropriate.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back