Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I copy all the files/data/OS to a Second hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2p

Technical User
Nov 11, 2002
US
This is a follow up from previous forum, by the way I can not find the very last reply posted on this issue or the last advise given by Encrypted. But I recall to run SYS C: to retore the boot settings.
I just ran SYS C: from (a) and the computer boots up into choice #5 COMMAND PROMPT ONLY. The followig messages are displayed: Warning: Windows has detected a registry/configuration error. Choose, Command prompt only and run SCANREG.
If I do not take any action while this message is being displayed and I willlet the time clock go to 00, I will get these messages: The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\DBLBUFF.SYS. The following file is missing or corrupted:C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS
C:\Set classpath=c:\Program Files\PhotoDeluxe 2.0\AdobeConnectables

Question, at this point, Should I select choice #5 Command Prompt Only? Thank you again,
Ed

Choose option # 5 to boot to a command prompt. From there you want type EDIT. This should pull up the edit program. Use your keyboard<alt button & arrow keys> to navigate through here. You want to open the MSDOS.SYS file. Once you've located that file, make sure the lines are as follows:

[Paths]
WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
HostWinBootDrv=C

[Options]
BootMulti=1
BootGUI=1
DoubleBuffer=1
AutoScan=1
WinVer=4.10.2222
;
;The following lines are required for compatibility with other programs.
;Do not remove them (MSDOS.SYS needs to be >1024 bytes).
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxc
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxd
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxe
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxf
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxg
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxh
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxi
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxj
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxk
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxl
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxm
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxn
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxp
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxq
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxr
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs

After checking these settings, navigate back through the FILE menu and save, then close and reboot your system and it should correct the problem. As far as the registry errors, if you are still recieving them upon boot, press F8 upon boot and that will take you to the boot options screen. Select option #5 again and type &quot;scanreg /restore&quot;. This should pull up a list of registry backups. Choose the one by date to where before all the problems occured. If there are no listings, try typing in &quot;scanreg /fix&quot; and that should repair your registry Enkrypted
A+
Let others know how much help they are by marking the helpful posts.

When I selected Command Prompt Only, the &quot;C&quot; prompt appears here I typed Edit and I will get a box with File, Edit, Search, View and Options. I selected File and Open and I will get a grey box divided into file and directories. I move the arrow down to view all the contents, Files and Directories, and I do not see MSDOS.SYS File. The files displayed here are the same ones I was able to see before when we found out that all the data was present: 24 files and 17 directories.

msdos.sys is in the root of C: - if you've just run sys c: it should be there (with very little in it). If it really isn't, just create one (as per Enkrypted's post) and copy it there.

I am sorry I am lost. If I have selected &quot;COMMAMD PROMPT ONLY&quot;, my computer goes into C:\> (here I have typed EDIT).
Once I have typed EDIT, a large blue box opens up with choices as File, Edit, Search, View, Options and help. If I select File(tab key and enter key) I do not see MSDOS.SYS File in any of the two categories(Files and Directories) When I open &quot;File&quot; I see the files I thought they were not present in my Wester Digital drive. Where do I find MSDOS.SYS? so I can continue with the final troubleshooting step. Please do not assume I know the steps just outline the sequence in writing because I am very lost at this time.
I appreciated very much your help concerning this issue, but I believe we are in the final step to bring my PC to original and normal status, therefore please refer to the series of advises or previous forums about the sequence of events that we have taken RE: &quot;How to I copy all the file/data/OS to a Second hard drive&quot; And without loosing any data.
Thank you Wollut and thank you Encrypted.

2p,

You've obviously got access to another machine - so copy Enkrypted's msdos.sys into a text editor (like notepad) and save the file as msdos.sys. Now copy it to a floppy disk.
Now boot your PC. When you get to the C: prompt, make sure its in the root of C: (type cd \ if you're not sure). Now type attrib msdos.sys -s -h -r (if it doesn't find anything, it doesn't matter). Now insert floppy with copy of msdos.sys into drive. Type copy a:\msdos.sys C:. If there was an msdos.sys file, you will be prompted to overwrite it. Agree this. Now reboot & hopefully it will!

Yes, Wolluf, I am connecting to the internet with my other computer(Window 95). Ok, you have indicated to copy Encrypted's msdos.sys, Where do I find Encrypted's msdos.sys???
Thank you for your reply and for your detailed instructions.
Edgar

2P,

Print out my last post on this thread<the one that contains the MSDOS.SYS settings that I typed out. On your other computer, follow these steps:

1. Boot to a C:\ prompt
2. Type in &quot;attrib msdos.sys -r -s -h&quot; and hit enter
3. Type in &quot;edit&quot; and hit enter.
4. Press the ALT button once to highlight FILE.
5. Press the down arrow key to get to OPEN.
6. Hit enter when OPEN is highlighted.
7. When OPEN screen appears, look under the word FILE NAME to see what directory you are in.<We want to be on the root of the drive - C:8. If C:\ is not listed there, tab over into the DIRECTORIES windows.
9. Highlight the two dots<..> and hit enter
10. Repeat that until the directory is set to C:11. Once there, look in the FILES window for the MSDOS.SYS file.
12. Highlight that file and hit enter.
13. Make sure the information in this file is typed exactly as I had typed it out for you.
14. If changes are to be made, make them and then use your ALT button to get back to FILE at the top of the screen.
15. From there, save and exit. Then reboot your system.

Let us know how things go after that... Enkrypted
A+
Let others know how much help they are by marking the helpful posts.

If you are trying to copy everything from your &quot;C&quot; drive to a secondary drive, use a program called Nortons Ghost. It is ideal.

Thank you Encryted,
I boot up to C:\ prompt and typed, attrib msdos-r-s-h and I will get a new line with, MSDOS.SYS C:\MSDOS.SYS from here C:\> shows up, I typed, Edit and the blue box opens up, I arrow down to open and a grey box opens up with the title &quot;Open&quot; File Name:[*.*......................]
c:This grey box is divided into Files: and Directories:
I tap over to Directories and I do not see two dots<..> I arrow down to [-C-] and this selection becomes black (indicating is selected), the File Name changes to File Name:[C*.*...................]I press enter, and nothing happens. The file name changes to File Name:[*.*...........]
and the cursor goes to the top of line in the Directories.
I exit this box and I back at C:\> I turn computer off and on and I am back to square one.

2p,

I don't know why you are not finding msdos.sys from edit - but my earlier instructions (not using Edit) will also work (and you will not have to type msdos.sys entries - you can just copy and paste from Enkrypted's post earlier in this thread).

I am sorry, Encrypted, this morning I found MSDOS.SYS! AND I have follow your instrucitons.
The only difference between the commamds that you sent and the ones I see in my computer is fallows:
[Paths]
WindDir=C:\WINDOWS
WinBootDir=C:\WINDOSWS
HostWinBootDrv=C
UnistallDir=C:\ (This is line that it is different.)

The rest of commamds are the same. Please advise my next procedure.
Thank you again.

Thank you wolluf for your last reply. I'll come back to this forum tomorrow to continue checking for Encrypted's advises, yours and other great help.

Hello Encrypted, I have found MSDOS.SYS!
The only difference between the commamds that you sent me and the ones I see in my computer. See below example;
[Paths]
WindDir=C:\WINDOWS
WinBootDir=C:\WINDOSWS
HostWinBootDrv=C
UnistallDir=C:\ (This is line that it is different.)
The rest of commamds are the same.
Please advise what I should do next.
Thank you again.

Just copy the partition bit for bit and forget about the files. Go to download.com and get one of the 2 free programs either HDCopy or Partition Saving. Both will copy a partition to another HD and make it boot like the first one. The second program lets you save this HD info to a file that you can burn on a cd. The first just copies C: to D: and now D: boots like C: DONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back