Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I connect remotely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baxwink

Programmer
Feb 7, 2000
US
I have an NT 4 server at my company site and need to be able to get into it from home to administer certain functions. The server is connected to the internet and has a public IP address. I am runniong winXP Pro at home and have a dsl connection to the internet. I am told that I can use something called lmhosts and connect but I know nothing about this. Could someone please help[ and tell me step by step how to do this. Many thanks.

You have basically two options: 1) Remote Access, or 2) Remote Control.

Remote Access will allow you to dial-in to your NT server; this requires a modem and phone line on both ends.

Remote Control allows you to use your local keyboard/mouse/video to control the server. Suggested software WinVNC, pcAnywhere, etc. This will also require a connection to the internet, but does not require a modem and phone line.

lmhosts is a local file for the resolution of NetBIOS names to IP addresses. This file will not help for remote administration.

If your server was running Win2k, you could setup a virtual private network (VPN) through the internet to create a secure connection to the server. At this point, you could run various MMCs to remotely administer the server.

Hope this answers your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back