Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I connect my laptop to the 2501 AUI Transceiver 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2003
US
I can console to the router via the console port fine. I want to backup my IOS incase of any problem via TFTP server. When I plug a cat5 crossover cable from my laptop to the AUI Transceiver, and I set my laptop IP to the 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 and the Router E0 IP to 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0, I can't see or ping the router. The link of my laptop shows disconnected. Am I doing something wrong? Can anyone help me? Also I have a 1924 switch. How do I connect the 2501 to the switch? Do I connect the AUI Ethernet Transceiver CAT to one of the 24 ports on the switch or to the 1924 AUI port in the back.

Thanks guys.

Ok, I just figure it out. My laptop nic adapter settings are all wrong. I forgot to change it to 10mbps as to 100mbps from my LAN. What a dump mistake. Thanks everyone.

Ok, Now I can ping the Router, but the router can not pick my laptop. The router IP is configure as 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 and the laptop is configure as 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.1.1

I can ping the router with response and everytime on the console when I try to ping the laptop I get a time out.

I can also telnet into the router. There is no firewall on the lap and its running windows 2000.

Any help will be appreciated.

Ok guys,

I finally figure it out!!

I forgot that I did install some stupid firewall a while back on my laptop and forgot that I hid it and ran it as a service. I finally disable it and now it works. Sorry for making you guys read all this mess.

This is a lesson for the would be network geek. The personal firewalls are too much of a pain in the butt to keep on the work laptop. Keep it patched, keep a good AntiVirus installed and forget about blocking ports. Odds are that in troubleshooting you will need that one blocked port when you least expect it.

If you want to be VERY safe, then boot the system off something like a Knopppix STD CDR disk and forget using the hard drive. You will be running Linux off the CDR and then if something bad happens, a simple reboot will get things back to being "right as rain" (name that movie)

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back