Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I completely remove a Virtual Root from the registry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
To any person who can help;

I would like to use Registry APIs (through a VB5 program I am building) to add / remove virtual root entries to the W3SVC/Parameters/Virtual Roots registry folder.

So far I am able to add the entry. And remove it. BUT as soon as I restart the W3SVC service the original entry I add comes back.

What else do I need to manipulate, so that when I delete the entry that it does not come back even when I restart the service? The actual IIS Snap-In is able to completely delete the reference and it does not come back. This then also asks the question of what does the IIS Snap-In do for this, that I need to do as well?

Can anyone provide some advice on this issue? Thank you

Sean
(shunter@mitra.com)

Hi,

The config info for sites in IIS is held in the metabase (%windir%\system32\inetsrv\metabase.bin). It may be that the info in the registry is derived from the metabase at system start. The MMC IIS snap-in may delete the info directly from the metabase so that it is not recreated. You can use Metaedit to examine the metabase (it's downloadable from Microsoft's site).

It's a bit of a shot in the dark, but I hope it helps.

Stuart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back