Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do i close msn messenger on someone else's pc? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mviltan2

Technical User
Jun 12, 2001
GB
I know that someone is using msn messenger opposite me but when i stop the messenger service on his pc it still runs if they are signed in.

Is there any other service i have to stop?

The messenger service is totally unrelated to MSN & Windows messenger. It is for the Net Send service.

To actually close MSN messenger you would have to close down the application as it does not rely on any services.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

you can remove it from startup

just goto start > run > type msconfig > enter

then remove any reference to msn messenger in the startup tab

and/or just rename the messenger folder in the program files group

seeking equality for goats

gpalmer711, can you shut down the application remotely?

Even though you remove the program the user could still use Messenger via the web at
Alternatively using a firewall you could block the relevant ports i.e. 1863

FAM

Unfortunately there are a number of different ways of getting into MSN Messenger, you could see about removing any excessive rights the user has and then uninstalling the application, that way when he tries to install it he won't have the rights to do so.

Blocking the ports may work but there is at least one other site that he could use.

As long as the machine executing the command is XP this will work

TASKKILL /S COMPUTERNAME /U USERNAME /IM MSNMSGS.EXE

COMPUTERNAME is the name of machine that the process is running on.

USERNAME is the user which should execute the command.

MSNMSGS.EXE is the EXE that runs MSN Messenger and MSMSGS.EXE is the EXE that runs Windows Messenger You can change this name for whichever process you want to shutdown.

You can then put this in as a batch file task to be ran every so many minutes or whenever.

If not XP, you can check sysinternals site for "pslist" and "pskill" to list and kill processes remotely.

Thanks Noktar, I've registered for this product but the email they sent me just says someone will call me shortly. As I'm in the UK, I'm not sure how long that will take!

I don't suppose you have a link of where i can download it directly from do you?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back