Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I check to see if a file exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike101

Programmer
Jul 20, 2001
US
I am using a for loop to open and convert data.

Workbooks.OpenText Filename:= _
"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Documents\sciencefair\Wind data\06\" & date8 & "\" & i & ".dat", _
Origin:=xlWindows, StartRow:=1, DataType:=xlFixedWidth, FieldInfo:= _
Array(Array(0, 1), Array(4, 1), Array(8, 1), Array(12, 1), Array(15, 1), Array(19, 1), _
Array(22, 1), Array(26, 1), Array(30, 1), Array(34, 1), Array(38, 1), Array(42, 1), Array( _
46, 1), Array(53, 1), Array(58, 1), Array(64, 1), Array(68, 1))

^ That works fine, but the problem is there ARE some data files missing. I want to somehow make the for loop continue on to check for the next one if it can't find the file. I know I can usually use "On Error Resume Next" but with this, it doesn't work. If I put it before the open part, it doesn't see any errors and continues on and messes up. If I put "On Error Resume Next" after the workbooks.opentext... I still get a popup saying it can't find the file and I can either end or debug. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Have you tried to play with the Dir function to test the existence of the file before open it?

Hope This Help
PH.

mExcel.DisplayAlerts = False

you will not get the message popup.

Mike
The code below gives you two options using the FileSystemObject Object.

The first will open each file in the given folder and therefore doesn't need to test for whether a file exists.

The second tests for the existance of a file before attempting to open it.

Just substitute your loop and file name types for opening etc.

Code:
Sub a()
Dim oFSO, oFold, oFyls, f1
Dim i As Integer
Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set oFold = oFSO.GetFolder("C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Documents\sciencefair\Wind data\06\" & date8 & "\")
Set oFyls = oFold.Files

'OPTION 1
'Loop through all files
For Each f1 In oFyls
    Workbooks.Open Filename:=f1.Name 'etc
Next f1

'OPTION 2
'Check for existing files
For i = 1 To 10
    If oFSO.fileexists(oFold & "\file" & i & ".xls") Then
        Workbooks.Open Filename:=oFold & "\file" & i 'etc
    End If
Next i

Set oFSO = Nothing
Set oFold = Nothing
Set oFyls = Nothing
End Sub

;-)

If a man says something and there are no women there to hear him, is he still wrong? [ponder]
The faqs ma'am, just the faqs. Get the best from these forums : faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back