Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I change the windows 98 startup splash screen? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ringring7

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2001
NZ
How do I change the windows 98 startup splash screen? (not windows 95-thats easy!)

I copied the info here in case that link stops working in the future.

***How To Change the Windows Startup Graphic***

Before your computer displays the Windows Desktop, you're treated to an animated (640 x 400) Microsoft Windows advertisement. This graphic is embedded in the Io.sys file in your root directory, and is easy to change. If you don't want the logo's to appear, you may open "Msdos.sys" (hidden file at C:\) in Notepad. Add or edit the line "Logo=0" under [Options].

Windows stores the splash screen in the file LOGO.SYS. Even though this file has the SYS file extension and is marked as a system file, it's actually a bitmap file created in Paint. This means that basically all you have to do to replace the Windows splash screen is create a new bitmap and save it as LOGO.SYS.

Before you begin, you should rename the existing LOGO.SYS file so you have a back-up copy of the original splash screen. Since LOGO.SYS is a system file, Windows Explorer and My Computer consider it a hidden file, even though the hidden file attribute isn't set. Therefore, neither of these hard disk navigation tools will display LOGO.SYS unless you change the View option.

You can locate the LOGO.SYS file easily with the Find utility. To quickly access the Find utility from Windows Explorer or My Computer, use the [Ctrl]F keyboard shortcut. Once the Find dialog box appears, type LOGO.SYS in the Named text box, select the C drive from the Look in dropdown list, and click the Find Now button. Once Find locates and displays LOGO.SYS, right-click the file, select the Rename command, and then give it a new filename. For example, you might rename it LOGO.OLD. Then, close the Find window. By saving the file under a different name, you can restore it by simply rename the LOGO.OLD.

Note: If you installed Windows Me over Windows 95 with Microsoft Plus!, there may be an additional file in your root directory, Logo.sys, which contains a slightly edited version of the original advertisement. In spite of its sys extension, it is a bmp file and can be edited by MS Paint.

Within Win 95/98, in the root of your C: (main) drive is a file called logo.sys, which is your startup screen. In your Windows directory are logos.sys and logow.sys, which are your Shutdown and 'Wait till Shutdown' screens. They might not be there, when included in some other file. Placing new files with these names will replace them anyway. You can just rename a bitmap to a .sys file.

Animated Logo: You can create your own animated Logo.sys file and replace Microsoft's sartup graphic with your own. You can animate the graphic, but you don't have to use animate the graphic.

The size: If you view an existing Logo.sys in MS Paint, you'll notice that it is sized 320 pixels wide by 400 pixels high. The Windows startup routines stretch it out to 640 x 400 when it's displayed. You can create a new graphic at 640 x 400 — or at 533 x 400 if you want to maintain the 4:3 ratio (width to height) that is the standard for video monitors — and then use MS Paint or Paint Shop Pro to shrink the graphic to 320 x 400.

Color: Your Logo.sys file must have a color depth of 256 colors (8 bit), and its file size must be 127K. If it is 320 pixelsx 400 pixels x 256 colors, it will be 127K in size. The Windows startup routine will reject a Logo.sys file that doesn't meet these criteria.

After you create your bitmap, save it as LOGO.SYS in the drive C folder and close Paint. The next time you start your system, you'll see your new startup splash screen.

Note: If you delete Logo.sys, the graphic embedded in Io.sys will be used instead. Getting rid of Logo.sys doesn't make the graphic go away. But if you set Logo=0 in your Msdos.sys file, no graphic will be displayed before the Windows Desktop appears. Your \Windows folder contains an additional graphics file named Logos.sys. This is the screen you see when you exit Windows. Just as with Logo.sys, you can edit this file or create a replacement for it.

Sorry guys, BUT ALL OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR WINDOWS 85 AND DONT WORK WITH WIN98!!! :(
ringring, ringring, ringring, ringring, ringring, ringring, ringring, .....nobody home. :)

whoops, Im mean 95 not 85 (hehe) ringring, ringring, ringring, ringring, ringring, ringring, ringring, .....nobody home. :)

As far as I know it does work in 98. Did you actually try it? Or just get one of the programs at one of those 2 links. There are lots of them.

Hi, logo.sys doesn't exist in win98, I tried to make one anyway and it still didnt change the splash screen. As for the programs, they were dead links (maybe just the site was down) ringring, ringring, ringring, ringring, ringring, ringring, ringring, .....nobody home. :)

To Ringring7,
Logo.sys does exist in Win98. As the instructions that Kento mentions, since it is considered a system file, it may be hidden.

ringring7 - have you tried Desktop Architect - it works.

PS. You're right - win98 doesn't have a logo.sys file for the startup spalsh screen - BUT if you put one into root of C: (and its right size etc), win98 will use that instead of default. Thing about Desktop Architect is you don't have to think about that - it manages it for you (also logow & logos.sys files in \windows if you're interested).

"logo.sys doesn't exist in win98"

As mentioned, yes it does exist in 98 but it's hidden. Go to start--settings--folder options--view tab--place a tick in 'show all files' then ok out. Logo.sys in the root of C:.

By the way, from the directions I posted...

"In your Windows directory are logos.sys and logow.sys, which are your Shutdown and 'Wait till Shutdown' screens."

"Within Win 95/98, in the root of your C: (main) drive is a file called logo.sys, which is your startup screen."

After unhiding the file open windows explorer and highlight the C: drive. Then scroll down in the right pane. You'll find it.

I already had all files showing ringring, ringring, ringring, ringring, ringring, ringring, ringring, .....nobody home. :)

Hi all!
What are you talking about?
There are two files in Win'98 - LOGOS.SYS & LOGOW.SYS in [windir] directory not in the root of C:. Just rename LOGOS.SYS into logos.bmp and edit it with standard Paint utility. After finishing rename back.

THIS IS THE ANSWER

Windows has no logo.sys file for the startup splash screen, but if you make one and its the right size it will work.
Logos.sys logow.sys are for shutdown screens. they are in windows dir.
Thank you all, a lot of garbage but we got there eventually.
Thanks to all who gave me win95 answers (sic.)
The END ringring, ringring, ringring, ringring, ringring, ringring, ringring, .....nobody home. :)

"There are two files in Win'98 - LOGOS.SYS & LOGOW.SYS in [windir] directory not in the root of C:"

Yes there is a Logo.sys in the root of C in 98 as those directions from that site say. I have one there and i opened it in Paint. It's the 98 splash screen. If you don't have it for some reason you could just make one and save it as Logo.sys as those directions say. Did anyone actually read through those directions I posted?

I know you can change the splash screen but I just got rid of it altogether ( speeds up the boot time) In the root of c:\ find msdos.sys and change the file properties to archive. Then open the file in notepad and add this line to the section called [options] logo=0 save the file, reboot and the splash screen will be gone. below is how to change it.

Change the Startup and Shutdown Screens (Windows 95/98/Me)
Category: Home > Windows > Startup and Shutdown
Microsoft has a knack for making the Windows startup and shutdown screens pretty boring. Luckily it's relatively easy to replace these images with pictures of your own.

There are three files which makeup the startup and shutdown screens, they are:

LOGO.SYS - The startup screen, usually located in your C:\ directory.
LOGOW.SYS - The 'Please wait...' screen, usually located in your c:\windows directory.
LOGOS.SYS - The 'It's now safe to turn off your computer.' screen, usually located in your c:\windows directory.
These files are standard 256 color Windows bitmap files with dimensions of 320(w) x 400(h). You can use basically any image editing program to change them (as long as it supports BMP files).

Warning: Before getting started make sure to take a backup copy of all three files (LOGO.SYS may or may not already exist).

1. Copy LOGOW.SYS and LOGOS.SYS to a temporary folder, and rename their extensions to .BMP

2. Using your favorite graphics editor, open the files and modify them to your liking.

3. Once your finished, save the files, change their extensions back to .SYS, and copy them back over the original files in the Windows directory (which you've already backed-up) and you're done.

Alternatively you can create three new BMP files for each screen, just make sure that the proportions of 320(w) x 400(h) are maintained. The file once finished should be 129,078 bytes.

Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. We cannot guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved. Use the information provided at your own risk. ;-)

Sorry Kento, I think I basically just repeated what you said! If he's having trouble it's maybe with the file sizes being changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back