Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I change the exe icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABOSL

Programmer
Jan 25, 2006
Where do I change the default icon for the exe? VB 2003

Right click on the project, select properties. Under Common Properties select 'Build'. At the top of the panel on the right there is a combo box and browse button under a "Application Icon:" label.

-Rick

VB.Net Forum forum796 forum855 ASP.NET Forum
[monkey]I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

Thanks!

Now do you know of a way to get it to take a BMP file as an icon? Or a program to convert a BMP to an ICO? The BMP is small about 86X86.

I'm not positive, but you should be able to use Adobe Photoshop to resize it to 64x64, 32x32, or 16x16 and drop the colors to 16 or 256, then save it as an icon. I'm not sure, but I would imagine some of the other Icon tools may be able to do something similar. Try IconMagic and IconRipper, it's been a while since I've used either, but I remember them as being pretty handy tools.

-Rick

VB.Net Forum forum796 forum855 ASP.NET Forum
[monkey]I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

I used to have a freeware app that I got from downloads.com a long time ago. It would convert any pic to an icon(not necessarily a pretty icon tho). Google "Icon Creator" and find something you like. Either that or let your kids(if you have any) draw something for you in paint. The icon is so small the customer usually doesn't notice it's just a crap drawing :p

Don't forget that .ico files can contain many icons. Windows will look through your icon resource and pick the one that most closely matches the size it wants (16x16 for small icon view in Explorer, 32x32 for large icon view, etc)

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back