Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I change my drive letters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlowder

Technical User
May 7, 2002
US
Ok, I had a pc with two hard drives - C and D drives. Somehow during setup I made my windows drive D.

Drive C bit the dust, so I went out and bought a 250 gig SATA drive. Installed it, copied my D drive over and now I'm just running on the SATA drive. But it's still drive D.

How do I make it drive C instead?

I made the mistake of trying to change the registry entries for the drive letters and, of course, it blew everything up.

I've fixed this and am now back to having just a drive D instead of drive C like I wanted.

Can this be done?

Thanks.

If you really need to do this (windows will run perfectly well on D:), then only sensible approach is backup, wipe drive and start again with clean install. Any other method will almost certainly leave ongoing issues (at best).

That is kind of what I figured. No biggie.

Thanks. I'll deal with it being d:

J

Have you gone into Disk Management and change the Drive letter.
Change the current c: to another letter.
Make drive d: the active partition, and reboot

Now go back to Disk Management and change D: to c:

Disk Management doesn't allow changing the drive letter on the boot drive for some reason. I only have a drive D now anyway so I'm just going to accept it as is unless some simple way of doing this comes up.

to afitzroy

just a caution: when entering the drive letter MAKE SURE to use (capital)C: or D: or whatever.

i'm sure that's what you meant here (i ususally don't bother with caps in forums), but i used (lowercase)c: recently and it caused me no end of trouble.

to jlowder

i'm surprised about DM not allowing you to change the drive letter. i had never given thought to how this whole thing fits together until my recent 'adventure'. my boot drive letter got changed, but i was able to change it back. this might be a good time to make sure you do a methodical backup. that way when (more likely than if) windows decides to mess you up, you can return. i just did.

per ardua ad astra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back