Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I change a .exe file without the file protection overwriting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizz

MIS
Sep 5, 2001
US
I want to change the winlogon.exe with another one but everytime replace the original one it gets overwrote by the file protection. I know Windows 2000 does this too and I have done this before in it but I forgot what I did. I was thinking there was something you had to do to install the new .exe or even a .dll.

I tried that but after replacing the file my computer would load to a certain point and reboot. I am not certain thou the file I was putting in place was not causeing this problem. I believe there is something you do that does something to the registry that will take the new file.

I have never tried this but found it on the web somewhere. If you try it make sure you backup the registry before making any changes.

"Disabling Windows File Protection:

Start the process by clicking Start > Run and typing regedit.
Navigate to the this location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogin
The key you need to edit is the SFCDisable key
. It’s value will be set to “0” by default and you
will need to change it to the hexadecimal value of “ffffff9d”
and the reboot the computer to complete the process.
Windows will not remove the DLLCache folder, so you will have
to perform this step manually."

okay here we go,goto windows/system32/dllcache(you might have to turn on the hidden folders option in the folders options dialog)search for your program you want to change,rename the extension(.bak or whatever),file protection will cough up a dialog,asking you to put in you winxp cd,just press cancel,then another box pops up asking if you want to keep the changes or whatever,just press yes.

then go to where your program is(i assume it's in the system32 folder),rename the extension like you did before,then put the program that you have in the folder you want,windows again hacks up a box asking you to throw in the xp cd,press cancel,then another box,press yes and there you go,thats all you have to do.and if you want to you can copy the program into the dllcache folder.

hope i helped you out(without confusing the heck out of you.)

squiggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back