Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I backup for annotation in Expert Explain Files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elca

Technical User
Apr 27, 2000
JP
Hi,

I used to comments on a Sniffer Expert Annotation.
You can annotate some clues into Expert Explain Files by clicking ? (question mark) in Symptoms/Diagnoses.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how can I backup/restore my own annotation?

TIA,

- Elca

Hi Elca,

Unfortunately you have found one of the down sides of annotating the Expert Explain files. In the program directory of Sniffer you will find a file call xphelp.hlp. This contains all of the expert help details. Any annotations will be added to this file. You can back this up or share it with other people. However, when newer versions of Sniffer come out, this file will be overwritten and you will lose the annotations. If you overwrite the newer help file you will overwrite the newer .hlp file with an older one it will still work, however should it contain additional experts you will not find them.

Spence P
Axial Systems

Thanks for your answer!

But I can't find my own annotation in XPHELP.HLP.
I converted XPHELP.HLP into XPHELP.RTF and I searched my annotation in XPHELP.RTF but I couldn't find it.

Any other clues?

- Elca

I found one in relation to annontating the Expert Explain files. It's XPHELP.GID has attributes hidden file with added my annotation.
This Global Indexed file was associated with XPHELP.HLP that contains the Expert Explain help information.

I think I can back these up with two files.

However, when newer version of Sniffer Pro come out, this file will be overwritten. As it is, it's cannot be used in practical solution.

I hope Sniffer Technologies will reform this function in newer version of Sniffer Pro.

- Elca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back