Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do I backup files to tape and read the contents of the tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
tar -tvf /dev/rmt0 ... gave me an i/o error
/usr/bin/tar -xvf /dev/rmt0 /source_dir_name ...???

to create - 'tar -cvf /dev/rmt0'
to read - 'tar tvf /dev/rmt0'
to extract - 'tar -xvf /dev/rmt0'

When you got the i/o error was the tape blank ?

Alex

to create - 'tar -cvf /dev/rmt0'
to read - 'tar -tvf /dev/rmt0'
to extract - 'tar -xvf /dev/rmt0'

When you got the i/o error was the tape blank ?

Alex

The I/O error can be due to a number of things - but can you check something... are you trying to view a mksysb tape?

Dave V.

The tape may have been blank. I really don't know because I have been previously unable to read the contents on the tape. I just submitted 'tar -tvf /dev/rmt0' and it appears to be reading the tape. My screen has been frozen on ">" for about 30 minutes now.

When my screen comes back I want to backup a 6 database dump file to tape. I'll try this command ...

/usr/bin/tar -cvf /dev/rmt0 /ARCHIVE00/KHKTBS*.Z

I/O errors using tar -tvf can sometimes be due to mismatched device blocksizes - try setting the blocksize of the rmt device to 0.

Tyr using the pax command (see the man pages). This can overcome certain issues with tar (and cpio). However, not if it is actually a hard I/O error.

Check the Blocksize of the rmt0
lsattr -El rmt0

Change the Blocksize to Zero. Variable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back