Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do I avoid that kind of humor 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mshen

Technical User
May 29, 2001
AU
hey there,

I am just about to start my mcsa evevning course next week. my employer told me why not a linux certificate, are you going to be a micrsoft d0g?
I just murmured that getting ms one maybe easy( i don't know if its easy). then I will move to linux, and cisco.
Im sick of that kind of sh1ty humor, that also distracts my concentration on work.
I don't really want to discuss my training plans with him.
I do what I got paid for. Its just the next step for me, whether it M$ or linux.

I agree with rasanders. However, it takes all people...

Seriously? My suggestion, see this as an opportunity to discuss your career with your employer. There is nothing unusual in your boss being interested in your training.

I'm getting my MISM and I discuss it frequently with my boss. Also any books I happen to be reading.

In addition to the technical skills you posess, you're boss is also interested in your soft skills. If you really take your career seriously, then show that you are thick skinned but also you're interested in why your boss said that. I would explain to him next time why you chose MS and then ask him why he feels you should direct your efforts towards Linux instead.

It's call office politics and pecking order. And omega dog will be treated like an omega dog unless that omega starts acting like an alpha or beta. I find that working in large IT departments is very cliquey. You're both part of the clique and prosperous or you're not. And just like any group environment you have your three basic personality types. You have the Alpha or Leader, the Betas or followers, and you have the omega or the token beating post. Don't let yourself become the omega, take control and let them know that they're going to get their virtual faces beat in if they don't stop. I'm not advocating violence, especially in the work place, but you also need a working environment where people aren't going to pick on you all the time. But if you whine and cry or go above peoples heads all the time it will just get worse.

Personally here's how I would have handled the conversation.

Other guy: what, you're gonna be a MS dog?
Me: You know what? If you want to get your rocks off toying with Linux then you go right ahead, but as far as the industry goes, both operating systems are of equal importance. And on another note, what do my career goals have to do with you?

Then I would have left the office. My guess is that he'd be in my office in at some point to apologize and make friends. Remember, people want confident friends not wishy washy friends. They want people they can count on in a tight situation. My comments above would have told the other guy that I am the kind of guy who will stand behind my friends if they're in a pickle.

The point being that I set my rank, I let him know that I wasn't about to take any of his crap. In any situation where a person is placed into a group every person in that group is going to throw out their own test to set their social rank with that person, it's human nature. You just have to know how to respond to those tests to set your own place in that social ranking system. Basically, don't show weakness. And lastly, NEVER try to take the alpha spot unless you KNOW you can hold the alpha spot, because if you get hostily dethroned you are done. You might as well find another job, because working experience there will be no fun at all.

-Al

I simply would of said that in this day and age a IT has to know both Operating Systems. It's not a Linux world anymore than it is a Microsoft world. Times are changing.

Not that it matters in the abstract, Mshen, but do you work in a Linux/Unix or Windows shop? If you're any type of 'nix shop, then this comment is clearly that of a threatened man. If Windows, then it's odd that he'd make the comment, since it could only help you (and him) in your job.

Either way, any certs could be seen as a threat because you'd be worth more--either he'd have to pay you more or you'd leave and he'd have to go through the hassle of finding another--possibly more expensive--employee.

But my take on it--and your post didn't mention his tone or inflection or other contextual circumstances--is that it was a simple expression of his opinion, which of course is anti-micorosft. And I don't see it as a personal insult, everyone is entitled to their opinion, though some are less tactful about when and to whom that opinion is expressed.
--Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back