Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do I avoid that kind of humor 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mshen

Technical User
May 29, 2001
AU
hey there,

I am just about to start my mcsa evevning course next week. my employer told me why not a linux certificate, are you going to be a micrsoft d0g?
I just murmured that getting ms one maybe easy( i don't know if its easy). then I will move to linux, and cisco.
Im sick of that kind of sh1ty humor, that also distracts my concentration on work.
I don't really want to discuss my training plans with him.
I do what I got paid for. Its just the next step for me, whether it M$ or linux.

Get used to it - its not going to go away :)

Until one OS has total dominance over any other the linux / UNIX / Windows arguments / sniping will never end.

Alex

I would ask the person if they are calling me a dog. Ask them to accompany you to go see the highest boss you have access too and ask them to repeat what they said. This will cause all sorts of fun and you may never have to put up with there humor again for better or worse.

I would've just make a comical remark back like, "last time I checked dog tops penguin." And smiled big!

Only for a while was getting a MS certification easy. That's only because tech schools were a dime a dozen, online as well as off. If you could get your hands on a test and memorize it, it was likely that you would get your certification. There was a joke running for a while that MCSE meant M(oron) C(onfused) (by) S(ystem) E(rrors). Some MCSE's that got their certs 1999-2001 cannot sit at a computer and be able to do anything administrative on it other than defragging.

Getting a cert the honest way IS tough, I can vouch for that. I'm two tests away from mine, and I'm damned proud of my progress and my accomplishment.

Tell the guy to stick it, then stick to your guns.

I wish you the best of luck!!

Tell him that you believe in being versitile and your not willing to commit your future to a single technology or platform.

Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

I wish I could have taken a picture of my former boss when I (casually) told him I was training for the MCSE. He was surprised, and I think he knew that the most likely reason I was working towards the certs was so that I could get a better job.

As the weeks went by he'd often ask how I was progressing and how hard the certs were. Not because he really cared how I was doing...he basically wanted to know how much longer he would have me as an employee.

It's very likely that your boss sees this as your first step out the door. If that's the case, that may explain his shrewd comment.

--
Mike

Why make it simple and efficient when it can be complex and wonderful?

I don't think his comment was shrewd at all. If anything, it was moronic and totally unbecoming of an employer.

I don't think his comment was shrewd at all. If anything it was moronic and totally unbecoming of an employer.

I must be missing some cultural referent or back story, but I don't see how the adjectives shrewd or moronic could be applied here.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

What ever happened to straight-forward replies?

If my boss asked me if I was going to be a Microsoft Dog, I would ask him what he meant by that. Then, depending on his answer, ask him why he felt the need to insult me and my career path. An offended attitude goes a long way towards curbing any future "humor" of that type.

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Systems Project Analyst/Custom Forms & PL/SQL - Oracle/Windows

I once had a supervisor who referred to any group (to their collective faces) as "you scurvy dogs".

He didn't mean anything derogatory by it -- I think he had just watched too many pirate movies.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

Exactly sleipnir214! The question here is:
Was the "humor" intended to be a personal insult?

If so, letting someone know you are offended is appropriate.
If not, then a simple "I find that offensive!" is usually enough to get your point across.

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Systems Project Analyst/Custom Forms & PL/SQL - Oracle/Windows

Serbtastic said:
I don't think his comment was shrewd at all. If anything, it was moronic and totally unbecoming of an employer.

Shrewd was just the first adjective that came to mind.

--
Mike

Why make it simple and efficient when it can be complex and wonderful?

Oh my god. Getting upset or even taking notice of someone calling you a micrsoft d0g seems a bit too sensitive. Life is full of people like this you must learn to let things like this roll off your back, if not you will find yourself target of more of these kind of comments just because of your reaction to them.

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

You say you don't want to discuss your training plans with your boss. You're doing this in your own time. So why did the topic ever come up between you?

"Your rock is eroding wrong." -Dogbert

Mshen,

Just let 'em know, that you're starting with M$ so that you can maintain an income while you study for your next round of exams.

You have to start somewhere and the most popular/widely installed products is a good place to start. There are many small businesses that need IT/MIS people. Even in the Wholesale distribution field where main applications run on Unix boxes, the desktops are still M$.

It obivious this person is jealous of your inititive to certify. I suggest you do not stop once you achieve your current round of exams. Keep going be all you can be!!

P.S. The Design exams for Windows 2000 MCSE are not easy. This is where M$ attempts to test that 1 degree of seperation its so fond of advertising to business.

Inquiring Minds,
JonPaul Ward
[noevil]

On the original point, Microsoft have customised their software to suit managers, who do the purchasing for big organisations. Look at Outlook - wonderful if half your time is spent in meetings, not so good if you just need to remind yourself to do something.

As for insults, work out a set of moderate but snappy replies. In this one, you could have tried "Because Bill Gates is richer than I am". If it was genuine good humour, that's a decent reply. If it was meant agressively, you upset the fellow by reminding him that he is quite low down in the power stakes.

You should also consider that someone who is needlessly nasty to people they have power over must have a lot of dirt within their own minds and is maybe worse off than you are. Think of it as a sign of weakness, which it usually is.

Or it could just be a funny remark, with no malice intended.

------------------
A view from the UK

Talk about making mountains out of mole hills.

People are just too sensitive these days.

Why lose your concentration over a remark like that.

GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on people, loosen up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back