Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do i avoid having to enter WPA-PSK key when connecting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mchoss

Programmer
Feb 11, 2002
GB
Win XP SP2
Using WZC to administer connections

I have set up WPA-PSK security on my wireless network and can connect without issue using the key. However, having done this once, i was hoping i could have windows save this information in the network profile such that i didn't have to reenter the key each time i turn the pc on.

Any suggestions/guide as to how to do that?>

Thanks in advance

Not sure what WZC is but when you setup your profile using either windows / intel profile management you have the option to enter everytime or save the password.

Just select the tick box save password.

Iain

Sorry,

WZC = Windows Zero Configuration. Hmmm, the plot thickens, i just powered down my pc and returned to it a while later and sure enough it connects automatically to my preferred network.

This is making me wonder if it is powering down the router that requires the client to have to manually re-confirm the key? The last time i powered down the pc i turned off the router as well, and it was then that i noticed the behaviour.

Any further suggestions? Out of interest, i have not noticed any obvious tick box to save the key?

Thanks again

Sorry people,

But this seems to have sorted itself out without me intervening. I have had lots of advice about how to configure a wireless profile, all of which i had already conformed to ... but the pc now seems fine regardless of whether i power it or the router down.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back