Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I age a single tape 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefox638

Technical User
Nov 14, 2006
US
I have a couple of incremental tapes that has gone south on me and I want to reuse the numbers. Lables are in short supply. With the way CV sets it deprecation factors, I won't be able to simply delete the tapes. Does anyone know how I can age these tapes without adversely effecting the others?

Right click on the tape and choose delete contents.

I tried that. Because the tapes are "Deprecated" the OML is now blank. CV treats it as a foreign tape. Won't let me delete the contents. The tape is damaged, I have a replacement. I need to remove the external lable from the damaged tape and put it on a new tape. However, because CV kept a record of the data that was on the damaged tape,the database will not let me use the external lable until the data on old tape has expired. I want to expire the records in the database. The only way I can think to do that is to age the tape/database entry. But, I don't want to wreck the age of the other incrementals and fulls that are older that that tape. Any help?

Try marking the tape bad. It should then give you the option to delete the tape.

bigg22:
That option is not available for those. Didn't even show up as an option. good thought though. I'm out of ideas. I was hoping that someone else has had this kind of problem and would be able to provide me the mechanics to remove these tapes. I might be forced to call CV.

Open the library properties and go to the media tab. In the media tab properties enable the When content verification fails and When it is from a different Commcell options. This should force a new OML be written.

agree...turn on 'When Content Verification fails' option and the media should be reused.

Maybe best to turn it off though after you have succesfully reused these tapes so no other media gets over written in the future without you knowing.

Just delete the tape of your Commcell...

After that you can insert the tape again... It will show up blank again...

Will try the Media tab solution and let you know.

final Solution. Ok this is what happend. Apparently we had a intermittant hardware failure. The Drive 1 on our system was having problems and didn't manifest untill several of our brand new (known to be good) tapes all of a sudden became deprecated. The drive itself is the active agent when it comes to marking a tape as bad. This drive did this to 5 of our tapes. After several calls, we finally found a tech who knew exactly what the problem was and called for a hardware replacement. During the same time we lost a slot in the motherboard due to (IMO)improper proceedures being used. (like now powering down the server while changing out SCSI cables to powered drives). After all that was resolved. We put the tapes that were deprecated back into the tape lib and the machine cleared the deprecation and the lable as good and appendable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back